Re: Another verb move for the 25Dec95 core

> Stacey Greenstein suggests @copy-move #6:confunc to #91:confunc
>
> A better solution is to split off the functionality that is only mail
> related, thusly:
>
> @program $player:confunc
> if (valid(cp = caller_perms()) && caller != this &&
> !$perm_utils:controls(cp, this) && caller != #0)   return E_PERM;
> endif
> this:("@last-connection")();
> $news:check();
> .
>
> @program $mail_recipient_class:confunc
> if (valid(cp = caller_perms()) && caller != this &&
> !$perm_utils:controls(cp, this) && caller != #0)   return E_PERM;
> endif
> nm = this:length_all_msgs() -
> this:length_date_le(this:get_current_message()[2]); if (nm)
>   this:notify(tostr("You have new mail (", nm, " message", nm == 1 ? "" |
>   "s", ").", this:mail_option("expert") ? "" | "  Type 'help mail' for info
on reading it."));
> endif
> this:mail_catch_up();
> this:check_mail_lists();
> pass(@args);
> .
>

> This change has been made on LambdaMOO.

Judy et al.,

Based on the existing character hierarchies I decided that I should @set
$player_class to #90 (Frand's Player Class) instead of #6 to fix the $login
problem.

Generic Guest, builder, programmer and wizard are all descendents of that class
so I resolved that regular players should be too. There are quite a few verbs
and properties defined on the intermediate Generic Mail Recieving Player and
Frand's Player Class that I found to be compelling reasons for the action I
took.

Is there some reason why my approach isn't a more appropriate change to make?
I'm still wondering what if any side effect might result from my change and how
the fact that I've left $player set to #6 will affect things too. Especially
since the line from the wizard verb...
#56:make-core-database [Wizard (#2)]:  $player_class = $player;
...equates these two when a core is generated. But perhaps I'm only looking at
the source of the problem. I've been running a JHCore until I grabbed the new
LambdaCore so I'm still feeling my way around it a bit. If my approach is valid
should I also change $player similarly?

Later,

<SS>

{ssayer@hijinx.com | ssayer@rust.net | ssayer@umcc.umich.edu}
    Sysop, Hijinx - 28.8,N,8,1 - Data & Fax: 313-747-8352
 Those with webbed fingers try <http://www.rust.net/~ssayer>