Shutdown weirdness.

Recently the machine my MOO is on crashed.  (This is not unusual, it's a
Sun.) As usual, the moo caught the shutdown signal and produced a dump.
However, the .db.new.#*# file doesn't get renamed to .db.new, so when the
machine comes up and calls restart, an old .db.new file gets used. Is
this unusal?  To get around it, I added these lines to restart before the
"if (-r $1.db.new) then" line:

if (-r $1.db.new.#*#) then
	mv $1.db.new $1.db.new.bkup
	mv $1.db.new.#*# $1.db.new
endif

I don't like it, especially since if the system only partially comes up
and crashes again, there may be at least two #*# files, one of which is
sure to be a partial.  (Hence the mv to .bkup.) Anyone else have any
suggestions?

*This article is a natural product.  The slight variations in logic and
*coherence enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way
*are to be considered flaws or defects.