Re: Telnet codes...

    Kipp> Again, I want to know if anyone knows the telnet codes for
    Kipp> line-at-a-time and character-at-a-time codes, I do know the
    Kipp> consequences of using character mode and I do know how to
    Kipp> code the stuff on the client end...  I at least need the
    Kipp> line code, because people are having problems with binary
    Kipp> read()s, because the telnet defaults to character at a time.
    Kipp> I wrote a :bin_read() command that reads properly in theese
    Kipp> cases, but the verb read()s 20-80 times per line...  Very
    Kipp> bad...  pleeeeeeze?  And please don't send client code
    Kipp> either...

    Kipp> - Kipp

The following excerpts are from the Linux man page for telnet.  It
seems like what you have to do is set the telnet on one end to the
desired mode, and the other end should follow it, unless it is brain
damaged, in which case your end should not switch modes either.  It is
probably controlled by ioctl instead of escape chars if you are
talking to a remote telnet from a program that uses the telnet
protocol, but not the actual telnet.  You should be able to find an
rfc on rtfm.mit.edu for the telnet protocol, but I didn't look there
myself -- too lazy; I'll let you do it :-)

     -e escape char
             Sets the initial telnet telnet escape character to escape char.
             If escape char is ommitted, then there will be no escape charac-
             ter.

     While connected to a remote host, telnet command mode may be entered by
     typing the telnet ``escape character'' (initially ``^]'').  When in com-
     mand mode, the normal terminal editing conventions are available.

     The following telnet commands are available.  Only enough of each command
     to uniquely identify it need be typed (this is also true for arguments to
     the mode, set, toggle, unset, slc, environ, and display commands).

     close      Close a TELNET session and return to command mode.

     display argument ...
                Displays all, or some, of the set and toggle values (see be-
                low).

     mode type  Type is one of several options, depending on the state of the
                TELNET session.  The remote host is asked for permission to go
                into the requested mode.  If the remote host is capable of en-
                tering that mode, the requested mode will be entered.

                character     Disable the TELNET LINEMODE option, or, if the
                              remote side does not understand the LINEMODE op-
                              tion, then enter ``character at a time`` mode.

                line          Enable the TELNET LINEMODE option, or, if the
                              remote side does not understand the LINEMODE op-
                              tion, then attempt to enter ``old-line-by-line``
                              mode.

                isig (-isig)  Attempt to enable (disable) the TRAPSIG mode of
                              the LINEMODE option.  This requires that the
                              LINEMODE option be enabled.

                edit (-edit)  Attempt to enable (disable) the EDIT mode of the
                              LINEMODE option.  This requires that the
                              LINEMODE option be enabled.

                softtabs (-softtabs)
                              Attempt to enable (disable) the SOFT_TAB mode of
                              the LINEMODE option.  This requires that the
                              LINEMODE option be enabled.

                litecho (-litecho)
                              Attempt to enable (disable) the LIT_ECHO mode of
                              the LINEMODE option.  This requires that the
                              LINEMODE option be enabled.

                ?             Prints out help information for the mode com-
                              mand.

--
-----------  "...  And the men went up and viewed Ai."  [Jos 7:2]  -----------
Robert Jay Brown III  rj@eli.wariat.org  http://eli.wariat.org  1 708 705-0370