Re: IP # from connection_name?

On Thu, 16 Jan 1997, Mike Thompson wrote:

> Patrick Sibenaler wrote:
> > is there a way to pull the actual connection ip number from one
> > of the net commands? My connection_name() returns the machine name,
> > although the 1.8.0p5 manual sais that it returns the name OR the
> > decimal values.-Or is there a verb that's able to convert names
> > using DNS requests?
>
> There is no builtin to do that.  To my knowledge connection_name will
> always return a name unless the DNS lookup fails.  This is something
> I'd like to see in the next version of the server, have it all IPs
> and a DNS function.  (It'd make (black,etc.)listing work better, and
> cut most lists of hosts size in half)
>
> --
> +----------------------------+--------------------------+
> Mike Thompson aka Shadow RAM : Made from 100% all natural
> shadowr@ipass.net            :          electrons!
> mithomps@nyx.cs.du.edu       : (UL) Listed, FCC Approved.
> +----------------------------+--------------------------+
> :      http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/5789      :
> +-------------------------------------------------------+
> GCS d- s+:- a? C++++S ULU++++ P++ L++ E---- W+++ N+ o? K?
> w+ O? M-- V- PS+ PE+ Y+ PGP- t+ 5- X R tv++ b++ DI+D+++ G
> e- h! !r y?

Actually, I've seen and worked a little bit with an in-db solution to
this...there's an object floating around there called $resolver which has
functions that return all that sorta useful stuff, make DNS calls, etc.

I know of two places that have it right now (and I'll make a plug for 'em
while I'm at it):

NillaMOO (dayvid.skylink.net 6669)
VirtualMOO (dayvid.skylink.net 8080)

As far as I know, the original author doesn't care if it's ported...and
heck, if he does, it prolly wouldn't take much to make one of your own.

RavenStar

|  Bill Crossley	    | http://www.cs.buffalo.edu/~wec            |
|  wec@cs.buffalo.edu       | "Assimilate *THIS*!"      		|