Re: That numeric verb thing again.

In article <01BAFED5.917D3120@phoenix.clawpaw.com>,
Ron Stanions <chaeon@roc.clawpaw.com> wrote:

>The first and biggest is with .program.  pre 1.8.0, .program #123:foo
>or .program #123:3 would access the same verb.  now, in 1.8.0 it
>becomes 'safe' to create a verb named "3", but now which verb does
>.program #123:3 refer to, the third verb, or the verb named "3" ?
>The syntax for .program will have to change somewhat.

I suggest using the already-unambiguous MOOcode syntax:

object:verb OK iff verb doesn't contain " ( )
object:("verb") otherwise
object:(verbno) for verb numbers

>Secondly, a lot of verbs that work off of verbnames expect a string
>argument, and it's a lot easier to write verbs for verbs when you
>always know there's gonna be a string argument. Now, many of those
>verbs that expects a verbname 'should' be modified to deal with a
>possible numeric argument.

It's a lot of work to change a preexisting db over to the "clean"
solution.  That's why a compatibility option has been provided.

	-hpa
--
PGP public key available - finger hpa@terminus.storm.net
"The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens."  --  Bahá'u'lláh