Re: Comments in .db files

GRAEME SMITH                         email: grysmith@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
2536 138A ave Edmonton

On Wed, 28 Feb 1996, Seth I. Rich wrote:

> Somewhere in the back of my head I recall reading that comments may be
> inserted into verb code with /* markers */.  Unlike comments inserted as
> strings, these will be entirely ignored and not even saved in the
> database.  Is it kosher to insert such comments into the .db file
> directly?  Will they be ignored?  In what parts of the file, if any?
>
> Seth
>
> --
> Seth I. Rich - sir@po.cwru.edu - http://corporate.hygnet.com/~seth/
>                                  There is nothing more precious than
> Rabbits on walls, no problem.    a tear of true repentance.

Doesn't seem likely.... the first time the computer updated the file
they would be gone. It doesn't seem too practical. You could always
put the /* markers inside the quotes if you wanted them to stay beyond
the first checkpoint rewrite.

I put the comments into the verb definitions myself.

The other alternative is one like that is used in some Forth systems
where the comments go into a "Shadow" property for the verb.

				GREY