Lambda MOO Error or Poor Programming?

	Good Morning,

  The U of MOO has recently switched back from the LPMOO 1.2 server.  We
thought this server held the answers we were looking for, but it ended up
causing more trouble than it was worth.  We have since switched to the
Lambda MOO Server 1.7.9p2 .  In the LPMOO server we used the
dgd_set_noecho (or named to that effect) to hide a character's player at
login.  As I read through documentation provided with the new Lambda
Server I found a function which seemed to act similarly, it is
set_connection_option.  I attempted to implement the password hiding
algorithm only to find that it does not work.
  $login:connect is modified to check if 1 parameter is passed.  For
example if, 'con <Player>'.  The if structure that handles this condition
preforms a read which modifies the arguments of the function. That is,
args = {@args, read(player)};
  OK, this seems to read in properly, and infact it even compares the
read in password correctly.  It even returns the proper player number
back to #0:do_login_command.
  So what's the problem?  Well, #0:do_login_command, receives the player
number and seems to return it properly.  As I have been lead to believe,
do_login_command returns the object number which is to be logged in.
Unfortunately, this player is not logged on.  When the player types 'con
<Player> <Password>' however they are logged on.
  I was wondering if it is the read, or what that is causing my problems
here.  I can see not reason why it does not work, especially since
$login:connect returns to #0:do_login_command the proper player number.
  Any help would be greatly appreciated,
	Eric Derbyshire, AKA Fozzie, UMOO (moo.cs.uwindsor.ca 7777)