Re: Lambda MOO Error or Poor Programming?

> >   The server isn't working as you would expect it to do... The server
> >   takes
> > the return value from #0:do_login_command at first read() or suspend(),
> > and forget about it, ignoring it is still running or not. The point is
> > the server is written in C, and the protocol between MOO codes is
> > meaningless to the server.
> >   I wrote a patch for this purpose before, and you can get it from
> > ftp://ee.snu.ac.kr/users/jsahn/moo-1.7.9-read.gz, though it breaks
> > the interface between server and db slightly...
>
> You don't need a server patch to fix this problem, just some different
> thinking.  The method DU uses (and has used for a long time) for this is
> the following:
>
> 1.  In $login:connect, if the user doesn't give a password for the
> "connect" command, print a password prompt, turn off echo, and save a
> "state indicator" to a property on $login (i.e. something saying that
> connection #-123 is in password-reading mode for account "Xyzzy") and
> then return.
> 2.  In $login:parse_command, check to see whether the connection the
> command is coming from has an entry indicating it's in "read mode".  If
> so, zap the state indicator, and tell #0:do_login_command to call
> $login:connect with the appropriate args and the password, instead of what
> would normally be done.
> 3.  Set up something to sweep the connection-state info periodically to
> clean out info for any connections which disconnected while reading (I
> just added another thing in :parse_command which checks to make sure all
> of the connections listed in the data prop are still connected whenever
> someone gives a login command).
>
> This gives a seamless appearance of read()ing without actually doing it,
> which avoids the problem you're experiencing.
>
> -R
>       Alex Stewart - riche@crl.com - Richelieu @ Diversity University MOO
>                           http://www.crl.com/~riche/
>             "Difficult answers lead to intelligent questions."

Great! It makes me think somewhat different, though it seems rather
complicated. Maybe I'd be more creative.

	-- Ahn

-----
Ahn, Jin-su    				email:	jsahn@ee.snu.ac.kr
School of Electrical Engineering	LambdaMOO: Deedlit(#103811)
Seoul National University, Korea