#-1 owned a verb!

So I was hacking on NewbieMOO (newbies.opal.org 8888), trying to compile
a complete list of patches to make a LambdaCore database compatible with
server release 1.8 (we're running 1.8.0p2, with the newest patch also
installed).

I have no clue how it happened, but we ended up with a verb owned by #-1.
I tried to reproduce the problem:
 - Hard-recycling a verb owner does not change the verb's ownership.
 - Renumbering a verb (property, object) owner does appear successfully
   to change ownership of the verb (property, object).
 - add_verb, even when called by a wizard, will not permit a verb to be
   owned by #-1
 - set_verb_info, even when called by a wizard, will not permit a verb
   to be owned by #-1.

So I couldn't reproduce how this verb came to be owned by #-1.  But there
it was:
  ;verb_code($wiz, "@copyobject")
  => {#-1, "rd", "@copyo*bject}
(Yes, I know @copyobject isn't in the Core.)

This got fixed, so I can't even show where it came from.

Any clues?

Seth / Blackbriar
Seth I. Rich - sir@po.cwru.edu
                                 There is nothing more precious than
Rabbits on walls, no problem.    a tear of true repentance.