[pbijdens@students.cs.ruu.nl: Re: bf wrappers and error handling]

From: Pieter-Bas IJdens <pbijdens@students.cs.ruu.nl>
Subject: Re: bf wrappers and error handling
To: moo-cows@parc.xerox.com
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 00:22:47 PST
Cc: abakun@waitress.scinc.com
Sender: MOO-Cows-Errors@parc.xerox.com

><rant>
>It won't suddenly break, true, but it will be incompatible with code which does
>use error catching.  I'm still of the opinion that your entire db should +d
>if you are using 1.8.0pX, since it's been out for over a year and I'm told
>even the latest lcore is entirely +d.  The only excuse is, in my opinion,
>laziness and/or actually wanting to write sloppy/unmaintainable code.
></rant>

Okay, you are right. I'm very lazy. I became a wiz at the moo I'm doing this a
week ago, and I haven't even spent seven days, 24 hours rewriting all the -d
code! Tsk, lazy! Thanks for pointing this out, I'll improve my life.

Okay, I think one can argue about this a lot, but since you actually make a
call in your code to set_verb_code() and not to $bf:bf_set_verb_code() I think
the server should actually make sure it is transparent. That was what my point
was, not that you all should go on writing -d code.

Oh, and if you feel the need to radicaly change how a builtin works I think
you hsould actually add a verb to one of the $.*_utils, or write a new builtin
rather than wrap it, so I'll just ignore that point if you don't mind.

  Pieter-Bas