[m50jft1@hayek.cob.niu.edu: Presence in MUDS...]

From: "John Towell Ph.D." <m50jft1@hayek.cob.niu.edu>
Subject: Presence in MUDS...
To: moo-cows@parc.xerox.com
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 11:05:11 PST
Cc: m10ert1@hayek.cob.niu.edu, m50jft1@hayek.cob.niu.edu
Mailer: Elm [revision: 70.85.2.1]
Sender: MOO-Cows-Errors@parc.xerox.com

I have been notified that my manuscript co-authored with Elizabeth
Towell entitled: "Presence in Text-Based Networked Virtual Environments
or 'MUDS'" has been accepted for publication in the MIT-based journal
"Presence."   Basically, the paper shows that 69% of the people that
were studied, which were from six different groups of MOOers and
totalled over 200 people, felt a sense of "being there" or presence
when they were connected to a MOO. This study corroborates the fine
work of Diane Schiano (Behavior Research Instruments, Methods and
Computers, 1997, 29(2)[In Press]).

I apologize for this shameless promotion but I know there are some
listeners who are involved academically and desiring references to
peer-reviewed MUD-related publications.

I also want to take this time to acknowledge the help I've received
from the moo-cows community.  The following is from the acknowledgments
section of the paper.
*******
Acknowledgments

The authors thank Pavel Curtis and the MOO-cows community for a lot of
help and a  marvelous MOO-support network, and especially Gustavo
Glusman, founder of BioMOO,  for teaching and sharing his knowledge of
MOO.

*******

Thanks everybody!

John (aka Watson Crick - BioMOO Wizard) :)
- --
John Towell, Ph.D.               |   "Among the many virtues of text-based |
Post-doc: Informatics            |      Networked Virtual Environments     |
Northern Illinois University     |       is lack of having to take notes." |
                                 |               ... Watson Crick          |
http://131.156.1.191/server/m10ert1/ECCC/johnhome.html