Re: server chmod'ing db file

At 12:47 AM 4/12/96 PDT, you wrote:
>Now, I don't think it's a Good Thing to have the db file o+r when it
>potentially contains data that shouldn't be readable by every luser with
>access to the server.

In my experience, every luser doesn't have access to the machine.  You may
want to make the directory globally unreadable tho.

>Why's the server do this, and is there a way I can stop this without
>breaking things (and even better without hacking in the server code?)
>The server's an HP 9000 running sysVr4, if that's relevant.

Check the permissions on the .new file.  Depending on the way your system
moves files around, it may be keeping the permissions of the file that is
being overwritten.  Also, check your umask (it's in the man pages), and add
a umask command to your restart script or your shell login scripts.

Andy.

Home | Subject Index | Thread Index