Re: anonymity in moos

On Fri, 12 Apr 1996, Jacqueline Hamilton wrote:
> We've been having a big debate on our MOO about whether or not to have
> player's email addresses be publically readable.

Well, at the very least, you could take a vote on it; if it "passes" (by
whatever margin is considered enough), then do it; otherwise, make it
optional for  each individual user (person.public_email = "foo@bar").

One alternative which pops to mind is to make anonymity a privelege: Users
remain anonymous until someone reports they are abusing it (and the criteria
for abuse should be clearly stated somewhere prominent).  Then they go on
probation for a time (possibly permanently), losing their anonymity (and
possibly other priveleges).  If you set clear guidelines for use which are
approved by a sufficient majority of your users, then no one can (justifiably)
complain about unfairness.

I think you'll need some sort of policy to handle abuses, because after all,
if you require email addresses, your users can just fake them. (If you
match login sites with email site during the login process, you'll
probably just annoy your users with an inconvenience that provides
negligible benefit.)

$.02
michael