Re: connection_options() inconsistency

> At 7:36 PM 5/9/96, David Morris wrote:
> >At 09:22 PM 5/9/96 -0500, phantom wrote:
> >>[just freshly connected to my character]
> >>;connection_options(player)
> >>=> {{"binary", 0}, {"flush-command", ".flush"}, {"hold-input", 0},
> >>{"client-echo", 0}}
> >>;set_connection_option(player, "client-echo", 0)
> >>=> 0
> >>
> >>I don't understand that.
> >> [snip]
> >>
> >>Shouldn't the client-echo connection option be 1 by default?
> >>

> >No, read the changelog (1.7.9alpha1) and the latest manual...
> >
> >"client-echo" -- (NP_TCP configurations only) sends the Telnet protocol
> >     WON'T ECHO or WILL ECHO commands (depending on whether VALUE is
> >     true or false, respectively)...
> >
> >So 1 means WON'T ECHO and 0 means WILL ECHO
>
> Hmm.  looks like the changelog has an error, because in practice 1 is WILL
> ECHO and 0 is WON'T ECHO.
>
> Phantom

WILL ECHO means that "I will echo the characters you sent."
There's no way to force the client to stop echoing locally, but by
sending "WILL ECHO" to the client, the server means implicitly that
"I will echo the characters you sent, so please stop echoing locally."
That's all.

	-- Ahn

-----
Ahn, Jin-su    				email:	jsahn@ee.snu.ac.kr
School of Electrical Engineering	LambdaMOO: Deedlit(#103811)
Seoul National University, Korea

Home | Subject Index | Thread Index