Re: your mail

On Wed, 15 May 1996, Junkie's 'R' Us wrote:

> On Wed, 15 May 1996, John P. Wilson wrote:
>
> > Would it be more efficient to let several players with verbs that schedule
> > events to fork/suspend independently, or to send event requests to a
> > central scheduler?  We will be implimenting a scheme for scheduling
> > different things happening around the MOO and would like the most
> > efficient method for it.
> 	I would suggest the use of $scheduler.

Well, that didn't really answer his question.  I've been wondering this
lately too... On EnigMOO we converted almost all of the periodic tasks over
to use $scheduler but I'm starting to wonder exactly how much more efficient
that is.  The server code has to be faster than killing and restarting the
$scheduler task every time, and $scheduler doesn't penalise people like the
server does.  So I guess the question is, how much time does the server
spend looking for the next task to run every time?  For example, if I
started a verb that did a suspend(86400);, would that raise the lag at all
between now and when it runs?  I can understand that if you have two verbs
which should be run daily, how it's better to have one verb that runs
them both and forks off another call to itself for tomorrow, instead of
having two such verbs, but is an in-MOO scheduler more efficient than the
server one?
                                                             --Dark_Owl