Re: Means of gathering data

Irina Sadomova <irina@merv.cs.nyu.edu> opens a can'o'worms...

>I am quite new to admin side of MOOing.  I have recently set up a MOO. I
>am running LambdaMOO 1.8.0p5 and JHCore.db as of April, 1995.  My problem
>is that I  want to record what goes on in rooms. I don't know how to
>accomplish this.

This is quite do-able but there are several potential problems.

If you recorded everything that went on in every room and never
erased it, your database would swell up like a Zepplin... and
who'd ever read these megabytes of chat anyway?

There's also the question of privacy -- you'd really have to warn
the players with a big sign like "NO PRIVACY!  YOU'RE BEING RECORDED!"

What's the application?  More details!

I have a generic teaching room that does this and other stuff
too (you can mail transcripts, and only listen to the players
that you think are interesting, even in those transcripts...)

By the way, is this running at nyu now?  We are also running a
MOO in NYC and I'm wondering if there are any others.

(It's the infamous Id MOO at telnet://moo.fly.net:7777)

    /t

Tom Ritchford     tom@mvision.com, tom@weirdos.com

Verge's "Little Idiot" -- Music for the mentally peculiar.
1-800-WEIRDOS            http://www.weirdos.com/verge