Re: MOO into C

[...]
>If all meaningful programs will decompile, does that mean they are
>reversable and that a decompiled optmized method will recompile into a
>usable form?

That was what I was meaning, yes. If so, then integrating an optimiser would
be as simple as a optimise() builtin (you'd still have to write it, of
course). If optimised code is *not* decompilable, then things would be a lot
more complicated because you'd have to save the text version or the
unoptimised version of the code for making future modifications.

[...]
>I write code like this all the time.  I've been known to do:
>
>if (valid(object = (su = $string_utils):match_object(the_string)))

Ah, so some of the horrible obfuscations in LambdaCore are *your* fault. :)
Religious wars over code style aside, I prefer slightly verbose but easily
understood code, and I would like it to *stay* that way unless I explicitly
say I want it optimised, rather than mysterious behind-the-scenes
autoobfuscation.

>>Things would get even more
>>complicated if the optimiser could identify chunks of independent code and
>>rearrange them to allow this. b = (a = 1) + (b = 1) + (c = 1), anybody?
>
>I hope these are only examples of optmiziations, since saving a stack
>manlipulation operation isn't much in terms of savings.

Just examples, yes. I couldn't think of any more meaningful examples.

[...]

--
   If you're up against someone more intelligent than you are, do something