Re: 2 hard programming questions :)

On Mon, 28 Aug 1995, Joel Thornton wrote:

> 2.  Does there exist, or is it possible to,

  Sure it is!  :)

>      write a networking system for
>     MOOs which allows users from one MOO to enter another MOO through
>     some kind of portal system which allows, for instance, a player to
>     "go north" and end up in a room which is literally on another MOO?
>     I can see all sorts of security and programming issues on this one,
>     but at the same time, it seems like it could be a worthwhile endeavor.
>     All I've seen so far is multi-MOO-spanning communications FOs and
>     so forth.  It seems feasible with the advent of MPL ...

  I believe 'Traveller' on The Sprawl (sprawl.sensemedia.net 7777) has
been working on such a thing. How (well/if) it works I don't know.

  Also, the documentation on MOO-net tells about 'virtual rooms'. Never tried
it myself, but it looks like you set up any number of virtual rooms which are
'shared' with a respective virtual room on another MOO. While this doesn't
allow universal transportation between any two rooms, it may be a good
starting point. http://arachnid.cm.cf.ac.uk/User/Andrew.Wilson/MOO-net/

-Will Orton   <http://sensemedia.net/sprawl/users/gridlock>
    <gridlock@worton.got.net>  <worton@got.net>