Re: Looking for public core databases

> One comment on JHCore: Does anyone else find the copyright a bit far
> reaching?  I ask because I am not exactly sure what it means.

Here's what `help core-copyright' says:

| Portions of this database are derived from the LambdaCore
| distribution, available for anonymous ftp at parcftp.xerox.com.  The
| following copyright notice applies to new and derived works within
| this database.

This says that the following copyright notice only applies to
JHcore-specific things in LambdaCore; since NOBODY KNOWS what the
copyright status of LambdaCore is, this is the best we can do.

| Copyright 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995 by Ken Fox.

People who did work on JHcore transfered copyright to Ken because we
were too lazy to form JHM Incorporated.

|                        All Rights Reserved
|
| Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
| documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted,
| provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that
| both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear in
| supporting documentation.
|
| KEN FOX DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE, INCLUDING
| ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS, IN NO EVENT SHALL
| KEN FOX BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR
| ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS,
| WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION,
| ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS
| SOFTWARE.

This is lifted almost directly from the DEC/MIT copyright on X11.
Basically, you can do anything with this code as long as you keep this
copyright notice around.

Jay Carlson
nop@io.com    nop@ccs.neu.edu    nop@kagoona.mitre.org

Flat text is just *never* what you want.   ---stephen p spackman