Re: checkpoints

At 2:46 PM 9/20/96, Don Schwarz wrote:
>All this talk about checkpoint notifications reminded me of something I
>wrote a while ago and was planning to make public but never got around to
>it.  So, if anyone wants the code, just mail me and I'll send you a @dump.
>
>Features:
>  * Allows players to turn checkpoint notification on or off.  Checkpoint
>    notification looks something like this:

[etc]

Eeek. He who knows when the MOO will checkpoint knows the best time to
crash it, for maximum data loss.

Since players can't schedule checkpoints, why do they need to know when
they are? The MOO shouldn't crash so frequently that they need to know when
checkpoints will be, in order to schedule their work to be saved.

I also don't think players need to be told how much lag's being caused.
Either it's too small for them to notice, in which case it doesn't affect
them and they don't need to be told about it, or the lag is noticeable, in
which case they still don't need to be told that the MOO is lagging.

Some other stuff in your post looked good, but these are my (deep)
misgivings about telling players when checkpoints do and don't occur.

--Matthew.

Matthew Sanderson
m.sanderson@student.anu.edu.au
The Australian National University, Canberra.

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
     --Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949