Re: patchs and add on's

On Mon, 16 Oct 1995, Alex Stewart wrote:

> > I've noticed reccenlty via chats with fellow wizards and reading this
> > news group there are a lot of patchs out there you can add and alot of
> > ftp sites to go to.. Well my question is does anyone havea full list of
> > both of them.. I don't have any for the record but would like to look at
> > and see what is availble to mod the code with..
>
> All patches to the MOO server program which I am aware of are available at the
> Semi Official MOO Patch Repository and Archive:
>
>   ftp.crl.com in the /users/ri/riche/MOO/patches directory.
>
> -R
>      Alex Stewart - riche@crl.com - Richelieu @ Diversity University MOO
>                          http://www.crl.com/~riche/
>             "Difficult answers lead to intelligent questions."

I know of some non-patching MOO-tinkering C-code.  I got them from a
long-time MOO wizard and even longer time C-Code hacker.  The code is
meant to be added (in some cases, replacing old code) to such files as
'server.c'.  Here's a summary of what some of the code does:

- Add a 'sneak()' builtin, used to input direct commands.  A good use is
the ability to control another player, without opening a new connection.

- Prevent wizards from geting booted from MOO-code.  This is handy if you
have wizs who write volatile verbs, but forget to add some perms
checking.  Included in this code is a '.quit' builtin so that wizards may
disconnect.

- Prevent hacking of .wizard bits.  This has been seen done before.
There are two parts to this code:  Prevent anyone but wizards from
hacking a wizbit, or prevent EVERYONE from hacking a wizbit.  The latter
one may be used if you don't plan to hire any more wizards.

- Prevent newting or toading of a wizard.  Also good if you have a
'mischevious' wizard on your staff.

- Also included is some code to make 'connected_seconds()' wiz only.
Here's why you'd use this code:  It's not very difficult to change the
MOO's connected-players system, to allow exeptions when viewing who's
on-line.  To do this, use your $server_options (if you use it at all) to
disallow use of connected_players() and idle_seconds()
(connected_seconds() on $server_options gums up your MOO).  Then make
some new verbs such as $wiz_utils:connected_players() and
$object_utils:connected_players() and add some checks to see if a wiz is
invisible (use a property).  If you want an example of all this type of
code, check out LakeMOO (carbon.cudenver.edu:7777) or SchoolNet MOO
(schoolnet.carleton.ca:7777).

Whew, well I've said enough.  If you want some of this code (and if you
know your C and UNIX), mail me, and tell me what code you want.

 --
The Raptor
ad880@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca

Visit LakeMOO at telnet://carbon.cudenver.edu:7777
Check out it's homepage: http://carbon.cudenver.edu:7777/lakemoo.html