Re: processor load problem - update

>From: andreas.dieberger@lcc.gatech.edu (Andreas Dieberger)
>Thanks for the replies I got so far. Here is an update on the situation and
>some previously missing info:
>
>The server we are running is 1.7.8p4  with the MPLpatch 1.4.
>
>It certainly was not a good idea to run the MOO under root and with that
>high priorities - that was an accident it seems. Still that alone doesnt
>explain why an empty moo needs that many cycles on the server.
>
>So today our sysop (Michael Mealling) checked what the MOO does all the
>time. At that point the MOO was basically idling with only me logged in and
>3 queued tasks that didnt do anything except waiting (using suspend).
>
>Here is an extract of what he saw:

[Lots of timer stuff deleted...]

Hmm... perhaps someone is running a verb that has suspend( 0 ) in it... and a loop?

Someone did that on Id MOO and used 96% of the server's CPU.... we're not
even running under root!

    /t

Tom Ritchford     tom@mvision.com   (212) 306-0414
Market Vision, 40 Rector Street, NY, NY 10006

Verge's "Little Idiot" -- Music for the mentally peculiar.
1-800-WEIRDOS           http://www.fly.net/~tom/verge.html