Re: LPMOO Questions

On Thu, 30 Nov 1995, Brandon Gillespie wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Nov 1995, Nate Massey wrote:
> > > Binary DBs (Which LPMOO uses) are much larger because of their nature.
> >
> > What of their nature makes them bigger?  I think that LPMOO should do a
> > good job of making smaller and better binary databases, even though it
> > does not.  If someone can explain to me why they are so much bigger I'd
> > appreciate it.
>
> They don't bother to pack data on disk or in mem, and their
> representations of data structures and the like are more bloated than
> those which MOO has (actually, its more probable that its bloated simply
> because its emulating MOO).

Correct me if my novice programming knowledge is wrong, BUT:
Binary representation of data will always be larger than ASCII because
the binary is a straight dump of what was in RAM to disk.  As a result
all things are expanded.  Dumping to text forces a pack of the data
because it is stored in ASCII instead of larger sized binary information.