Re: Regulating Multimedia [Was Re: Pueblo and Java.]

I wrote:
>> This is not true.  There is another way, namely filtering.  A responsible
>> client will provide options to refuse or accept content from other users.
[...]

On Sat, 9 Nov 1996, jer wrote:
> Well yeh, obviously users need to be able to turn off what comes at them,
> but they can't just turn off offensive stuff [...] SO they look to your
> options, what do they see? 'turn off multimedia' so they figure heck..i
> dont want to be offended like that again, so I'll just turn it off.

ALL multimedia (though, that could be one way of dealing with it).  I
clearly indicated that the users should be able to refuse information
from specific individuals.  Most MOOs already provide this functionality
for text, and by extension, could do the same for other forms of
communication as well.  With some additional client/server support, this
could be turned into a more sophisticated security system.

For bulk multimedia encountered throughout the MOO, this probably means
avoiding rooms which contain offensive material, and in "gagging"
offensive users.  For specific multimedia transactions (such as the print
example I used), this probably means prompting from the client
(perhaps also giving a preview of the information being transmitted).
Short of shunning all contact whatsoever, no solution is 100% complete -
just like celibacy is the only way to be 100% sure of avoiding pregnancy.

Incidentally, the problem of selective acceptance of information in
cyberspace is part of the basis for Neal Stehenson's best-selling novel
_Snow Crash_.

michael
brundage@ipac.caltech.edu

Home | Subject Index | Thread Index