Re: Scattering assignment

On Mon, 18 Nov 1996, Chris Schlesiger wrote:
> I've gotten to really like the scattering assignment in the new server
> version. I was wondering what people would think of adding on to it the
> following:
>
>   Type requirements.

FYI, this has already been proposed (twice); unfortunately, I've
forgotten the current moo-cows archives URL.  The best I could find
through Alta Vista was the first time it came up:
http://forney.scinc.com/~abakun/moomail/96.01/msg00363.html
However, Gustavo Glusman (?) brought it up again in a later post, and with a
better (IMO) notational scheme.

Personally, I'm in favor of it, *provided* it has a reasonable syntax (like
that proposed by Gustavo (?)) and *provided* it would lead to a
reasonablly significant improvement in compuatational efficiency (as
opposed to just programmers' convenience in not having to then check the
types manually). My guess is that it would lead to an efficiency, because
the assignments would stop (raising E_TYPE or whatever) immediately if
type checks were done along the way, instead of first doing all the
assignments and then checking types.

Cheers,

michael
brundage@ipac.caltech.edu