@create returns "Too many verb calls" to non-wiz chars

K.A. all MOO-Cows .

I am running LambdaMOO v1.8.0p5 w/25Dec95 LambdaCore on Linux.
Presently, the MOO is at its first stages (building the basic
envroiment before "normal" players come in) and I have hit into a
weird problem.
If a non-wiz char tries to @create (or @dig, which I discovered
(obviously) goes through the same routines, but in a spectacularly
perverted way) an object and that requires issueing a new (never
before issued) obj. number (i.e. $recycler calls create() to get the
job done (am I getting this right?)) the server refuses to do what it
should spitting out a nice "Too many verb calls" error, which is not
contemplated in the FM (LMoo Progger's manual by Pavel Curtis).
The curious things are that a) this does not happen to wizzen and
b)this started happening quite suddently (it worked fine before).

Also, another couple (more trivial) Qs:
a) It was said on this list that Mr. Curtis is no longer maintaining
MOO. Who is? And will we get another server release beyond 1.8.0p5?
b) Where can I find LambdaCore progger/user's manuals a little more
recent than the ones on ftp.parc.xerox.com (v1.3 (!))?
c) Wading through Brack's www pages, I found a site with patches for
the 25Dec95 core (www.flake.org/something). Problem is, I can' t
reach said site (DNS lookup failure). Is there a mirror somewhere?
d) Is there a similar site for server patches for 1.8.0p5? A lot have
passed on this list and I was wondering if an "official" patch
repository (of tested and needful patches) exists.

Whoopsies... well, (couple = 4) :)

Thanks in advance for all & any help and apologies if these questions
seem excessivly green/banale... we all have to learn, I was taught.

        Regards,
                Luigi Fabio

Luigi Fabio                            | I think God, in creating man,
-----------                            |   somewhat overestimated his ability.
lfabio@doge.it                         |            - Oscar Wilde