flexfax: US Robotics "56k voice faxmodem" (fwd)

Randy Harmon (rjharmon@uptimecomputers.com)
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 20:07:55 +0200

My business partner, who keeps up with HylaFax, mentioned this WRT a project
we are working on.  It sounded like it might be helpful around here too...

Randy

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 01:54:28 +0100
From: Torsten Müller <archesoft@pc.mdlink.de>
To: Tom Yates <madhatta@mathworks.com>, flexfax@sgi.com
Subject: Re: flexfax: US Robotics "56k voice faxmodem"

Hello!
I would try the settings, transmitted by   Marc
<info@schnidersmoebel.ch> to
me, for his Sportster Flash (see below)
Marc, i hope it`s o.k. if i publish your results of hard trying ?!

Greetings from Germany

Torsten

Tom Yates schrieb:

> hylafax 4.0pl2 from red hat rpm package (hylafax-4.0pl2-3rh5) with a US
> Robotics 56k voice faxmodem, which i believe is a sportster by any other
> name (and smells as bad).  the modem tells me "U.S. Robotics 56K Voice EXT
> Rev. 11.1.17", and says the firmware date is 3/2/98.  it transmits most of
> a page, and then smears off the bottom; it often fails to complete sending
> and times out (unspecified phase D error).
>
> i have searched the archives and found a lot of bad news about the USR
> modem code in general, but none from recent months.  can anyone shed any
> light on how i might beat this modem into submission, or should i just
> throw it out the window and get a better one?
>
> forcing it to class-1 doesn't seem to help, by the way.
>
>                               Tom Yates - Unix Chap
>                          MAG#65061  DoD#0135  AMA#461546
>          1024/CFDFDE39 0C E7 46 60 BB 96 87 05 04 BD FB F8 BB 20 C1 8C

  Settings for the USR Sportster Flash, transmitted by Marc

for Class 1

-----------------------------

# $Id: class1,v 1.23 1996/06/24 02:58:32 sam Rel $
...zip...
# Generic Class 1 modem configuration.
#
# EDIT THIS CONFIGURATION TO REFLECT YOUR SETUP
#
CountryCode:  41
AreaCode:  81
FAXNumber:  +41.81.xxxxxxxx
LongDistancePrefix: 0
InternationalPrefix: 00
DialStringRules: etc/dialrules
ServerTracing:  527
SessionTracing:  527
RecvFileMode:  0644
LogFileMode:  0600
DeviceMode:  0666
RingsBeforeAnswer: 1
SpeakerVolume:  off
GettyArgs:  "-r -b -s %s %l"
LocalIdentifier: "xxxxxxxxxx"
TagLineFont:  etc/lutRS18.pcf
TagLineFormat:  "%%l|%c|Seite %%p von %%t"
QualifyTSI:  etc/tsi
MaxRecvPages:  25
#
#
# Modem-related stuff: should reflect modem command interface
# and hardware connection/cabling (e.g. flow control).
#
ModemType:  Class1  # use this to supply a hint
ModemRate:  19200  # rate for DCE-DTE communication
ModemFlowControl: xonxoff  # XON/XOFF flow control assumed
#
ModemSetupDTRCmd: ATS13=1&D2 # setup so DTR drop resets modem
ModemSetupDCDCmd: AT&C1  # setup so DCD follows carrier
GettyArgs:  "-r -b -s %s %l"# modem must auto-detect fax/data
#
# We normally append the "@" symbol to the dial string so that
# the modem will wait 5 seconds before attempting to connect
# and return result codes that distinguish between no carrier
# and no answer.  This makes it possible to avoid problems with
# repeatedly dialing a number that doesn't have a fax machine
# (kudos to Stuart Lynne for this trick.)
#
# NB: If you need to prefix phone numbers to get through a PBX,
#     put it in the ModemDialCmd; e.g. "DT9%s@".
#
ModemDialCmd:  ATDT%s@  # T for tone dialing, @ for silence
#
# Other possible configuration stuff.  The default strings are
# shown below.  Only those that are different from the defaults
# need to be included in the configuration file.
#
ModemResetCmds:  ""  # stuff to do when modem is reset
ModemAnswerCmd:  ATA  # use this to answer phone
ModemNoFlowCmd:  AT&H3&I2&R2 # disable flow control cmd
ModemHardFlowCmd: AT&H3&I2&R2 # hardware flow control cmd
ModemSoftFlowCmd: AT&H3&I2&R2 # software flow control cmd
ModemNoAutoAnswerCmd: ATS0=0  # disable auto-answer
#
# Set modem speaker volume commands: OFF QUIET LOW MEDIUM HIGH.
# Note that we both turn the speaker on/off and set volume.
#
ModemSetVolumeCmd: "ATM0 ATL0M1 ATL1M1 ATL2M1 ATL3M1"
ModemEchoOffCmd: ATE0  # disable command echo
ModemVerboseResultsCmd: ATV1  # enable verbose command results
ModemResultCodesCmd: ATQ0X4  # enable result codes
ModemOnHookCmd:  ATH0  # place phone on hook (hangup)
ModemSoftResetCmd: ATZ  # do soft reset of modem
ModemWaitTimeCmd: ATS7=90  # wait 60 seconds for carrier
ModemCommaPauseTimeCmd: ATS8=2  # comma pause time is 2 seconds
ModemRecvFillOrder: LSB2MSB  # bit order of received facsimile
ModemSendFillOrder: LSB2MSB  # bit order modem expects for transmit
#
Class1Cmd:  AT+FCLASS=1 # command to enter class 1
Class1TCFResponseDelay: 75  # 75ms delay between recv TCF & response
Class1SendPPMDelay: 75  # 75ms delay before sending PPM
Class1SendTCFDelay: 75  # 75ms delay between sending DCS & TCF
Class1TrainingRecovery: 1500  # 1.5sec delay after training failure
Class1RecvAbortOK: 200  # wait 200ms for abort response
Class1FrameOverhead: 4  # 4 byte overhead in recvd HDLC frames
Class1RecvIdentTimer: 40000  # 35+5secs waiting for ident frames
Class1TCFMaxNonZero: 10  # max 10% of data may be non-zero
Class1TCFMinRun: 1000  # min run is 2/3rds of TCF duration

---------------------
for Class 2

# $Id: class2.0,v 1.12 1996/06/24 02:58:33 sam Rel $
#
# HylaFAX Facsimile Software
#
# Copyright (c) 1990-1996 Sam Leffler
# Copyright (c) 1991-1996 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
# HylaFAX is a trademark of Silicon Graphics, Inc.
#
# Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute, and sell this software
and
# its documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee,
provided
# that (i) the above copyright notices and this permission notice appear
in
# all copies of the software and related documentation, and (ii) the
names of
# Sam Leffler and Silicon Graphics may not be used in any advertising or
# publicity relating to the software without the specific, prior written
# permission of Sam Leffler and Silicon Graphics.
#
# THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS-IS" AND WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
# EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY
# WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
#
# IN NO EVENT SHALL SAM LEFFLER OR SILICON GRAPHICS BE LIABLE FOR
# ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY
KIND,
# OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS,
# WHETHER OR NOT ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF DAMAGE, AND ON ANY THEORY
OF
# LIABILITY, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE
# OF THIS SOFTWARE.
#

#
# Generic Class 2.0 modem configuration.
#
# EDIT THIS CONFIGURATION TO REFLECT YOUR SETUP
#
CountryCode:  41
AreaCode:  81
FAXNumber:  +41.81.xxxxxxxx
LongDistancePrefix: 0
InternationalPrefix: 00
DialStringRules: etc/dialrules
ServerTracing:  1
SessionTracing:  11
RecvFileMode:  0600
LogFileMode:  0600
DeviceMode:  0600
RingsBeforeAnswer: 1
SpeakerVolume:  off
GettyArgs:  "-h %l dx_%s"
LocalIdentifier: "xxxxxxxxxxxx"
TagLineFont:  etc/lutRS18.pcf
TagLineFormat:  "%%l|%c|Seite %%p von %%t"
QualifyTSI:  etc/tsi
MaxRecvPages:  25
#
#
# Modem-related stuff: should reflect modem command interface
# and hardware connection/cabling (e.g. flow control).
#
ModemType:  Class2.0 # use this to supply a hint
ModemRate:  19200  # max rate for DCE-DTE communication
ModemFlowControl: rtscts  # XON/XOFF flow control assumed
ModemSetupDTRCmd: ATS13=1&D2 # setup so DTR drop resets modem
ModemSetupDCDCmd: AT&C1  # setup so DCD reflects carrier (or not)
ModemSetupAACmd: AT+FAA=1
#
[...]
#ModemNoFlowCmd: AT&H0&I0&R1 # disable flow control cmd
ModemNoFlowCmd:  AT&H3&I2&R2 # disable flow control cmd
#ModemHardFlowCmd: AT&H1&I0&R2 # hardware flow control cmd
ModemHardFlowCmd: AT&H3&I2&R2 # hardware flow control cmd
#ModemSoftFlowCmd: AT&H2&I2&R1 # software flow control cmd
ModemSoftFlowCmd: AT&H3&I2&R2 # software flow control cmd
ModemNoAutoAnswerCmd: ATS0=0  # disable auto-answer
#
# Set modem speaker volume commands: OFF QUIET LOW MEDIUM HIGH.
# Note that we both turn the speaker on/off and set volume.
#
ModemSetVolumeCmd: "ATM0 ATM1 ATM1 ATM1 ATM1"
ModemEchoOffCmd: ATE0  # disable command echo
ModemVerboseResultsCmd: ATV1  # enable verbose command results
ModemResultCodesCmd: ATQ0  # enable result codes
ModemOnHookCmd:  ATH0  # place phone on hook (hangup)
ModemSoftResetCmd: ATZ  # do soft reset of modem
ModemWaitTimeCmd: ATS7=90  # wait 60 seconds for carrier
ModemCommaPauseTimeCmd: ATS8=2  # comma pause time is 2 seconds
ModemRecvFillOrder: LSB2MSB  # bit order of received facsimile
ModemSendFillOrder: LSB2MSB  # bit order modem expects for transmit
#
# Configuration parameters for Class 2.0 modems.
#
Class2Cmd:  AT+FCLASS=2.0 # command to enter class 2.0
Class2BORCmd:  AT+FBO=0 # bit order for phase B/C/D (direct)
Class2CQCmd:  ""  # commands to enable copy quality proc.
Class2AbortCmd:  AT+FKS  # abort session command
Class2CQQueryCmd: !(0),(0) # query for copy quality capabilities
Class2DCCQueryCmd: AT+FCC=? # query for modem capabilities
Class2TBCCmd:  AT+FPP=0 # setup stream mode
Class2CRCmd:  AT+FCR=1 # enable capability to receive
Class2PHCTOCmd:  AT+FCT=30 # set phase C timeout parameter
Class2BUGCmd:  AT+FBU=0 # enable HDLC frame tracing
Class2LIDCmd:  AT+FLI  # set local identifier command
Class2DCCCmd:  AT+FCC  # set modem capabilities command
Class2DISCmd:  AT+FIS  # set session parameters command
Class2DDISCmd:  ""  # disable pre-dial DIS command hack
Class2CIGCmd:  AT+FPI  # set polling identifier command
Class2NRCmd:  AT+FNR=1,1,1,1 # setup status reporting command
Class2PIECmd:  AT+FIE=0 # disable interrupt-enable command
Class2PTSCmd:  AT+FPS  # set post-page status command
Class2SPLCmd:  AT+FSP  # set polling indicator command
Class2NFLOCmd:  AT+FLO=0 # set no flow control command
Class2SFLOCmd:  AT+FLO=1 # set software flow control command
Class2HFLOCmd:  AT+FLO=2 # set hardware flow control command