98 news

Mark Tillotson (markt@ctf.com)
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 13:44:23 -0400

Jeff Fox wrote:
>There was some confusion by those who read the iTV web page as to
>whether we had 1M byte of ROM on i21 at this time.
Excuse me if I am out of line here, but as I re-read the latest discussions
since the new iTV web pages were posted, I was unable to see any
discussion of the 1M byte of ROM. However, in re-reading the
 iTV web page at http://www.itvcorp.com/Technology/i21.html:
>Key Features
>-500 MIPS 21-bit MISC Forth microprocessor
>-Requires an absolute minimum of external components
>-Integrated memory management unit supporting 1M word page-mode DRAM
>-1MB Flash ROM
>-Direct NTSC/PAL video output from integrated video coprocessor
>-Modem DMA interface
>-Integrated consumer infra-red remote control interface
>-Integrated PC keyboard DMA interface
>-Real-time clock
>-Low power
>-Packaged in 68 pin PLCC
>-Low transistor count
I notice that the processor has a modem DMA interface. Was this Jeff's
way of un-officially pointing this out? Am I correct in assuming that this
refers to an interface to use an external modem chip set? If this is the
case, then it would have to be a very cheap one to fit the under $50 retail
budget, perhaps only 14400 baud and certainly not state-of-the-art.
Cheers,
Mark

.