Subject: Re:Misc Mailing List is Back

From: Wayne Morellini <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 12:35:22 +1000 (EST)

Eugene Leitl <[email-masked]> wrote:
>On Tue, 8 Oct 1996, Wayne Morellini wrote:
>
>> Penio Penev <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> > ...
>> 
>> Well the amount of traffic has been almost minimal since about this time
>> last year.  I'm surprised there are that many people on the list, I thought
>
>Traffic? Which traffic?

A little bit begining of this year.

>
>> the list must have been dead from lack of interest.  I mean I have a number
>> of times quieried misc-request to see if it was still up, or that I had been
>> acidentally de-registered by the system due to no traffic.
>
>This is what I also thought.
>
>> 
>> So to spark some interest it would help if we got regular updates from the
>> people behind the processors p21, F-21, I21 (Yes I still know how to get to
>
>Indeed. I also, happen to be somewhat bitter about this lamentable lack 
>of information on chip progress. I mean: FORTH is pretty exotic already, 
>must this be further aggravated by lack of user support? With virtually 
>no data sheets I can live with. But relying on on a single source, with 
>no detailed information nor progress info forthcoming, while in dire need to 
>choose a reliable hardware platform to develop a product? Scusi, but I am 
>not mad. If this goes on for some more time, I have to choose an 
>off-shelf embedded controller. My financers won't wait much longer.
>
>This will exclude the Forth option, but it will keept the product alive.

There are other Forth Processors the SC-32 from silicon composers, the
Harris RTX-200x is still available but only limited versions.  The Mup-21 is
a good concept and I can sell you my kit. The others we are still waiting
for, the Mup-21 execution has been reported to break after something like
100's of hours, but new packaging that was due soon this time last year and
apart from requests nothing else has really been said about it to my
knowledege, this packaging should fix a lot of problems, video resoluation
isn't great 384*2xx.  The F-21 and I-21 is supposed to be much better.

>
>> the page with I21 press release on Jeffs Web site that says it will be
>> available for licencing etc, despite the denial of ITV when I enquired,
>
>I think i21 won't, but F21 will (provided, I'll ever live to see it).

Like I21 like F-21, but wanted I21 type device.

>
>> despite Jeff removing the new pages a day or two after I origionally saw
>> them), and THE 32-BIT P32.  Announcements of products would be good too.
>
>Seconded fully.
>
>Eugene Leitl
> 

Thanks Eugene.

Wayne Morellini
[email-masked]

--

---

From: Eugene Leitl <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 15:11:44 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Wayne Morellini wrote:

> > [...]

I, too, think MuP21 is good. I still hope to switch to the F21 with 
minimal conversion effort, should it become avialable in 5-6 months, the 
end of the time slot alloted to the prototype. Since MuP21 is so very 
similiar to MuP21, its the logical choice. Particularly, high absolute 
performance and excellent MIPS/Watt ratio as well as NOP power saving 
capability are very interesting, since mine is a mobile application 
demanding sophisticated power management.

However (I know I should ask Dr. Ting directly, but he's probably busy 
and maybe any of you MISCers might already know) 

- is the MuP21 $350 kit still available?

- how many days does one wait for delivery?

- is MuP21 available in medium quantities (100-1000 pcs) on short notice? 
  At which prices?

- is the MuP21 kit stand-alone? (Meaning, can I just hook up a standard 
  PC keyboard and a (NTSC/PAL) CRT to it and use it for native 
  development platform?)

- what does it use for mass storage? Flash memory cards?

- can one use the digital I/O ports to do several RS232 by software?

- is the only difference between the $100 and the $350 kit is that the 
  latter is assembled? (Meaning, containing the same parts, identical 
  documentation and ROM image?)

> 100's of hours, but new packaging that was due soon this time last year and

What??? You mean all MuP21 samples one can buy are uncapable of sustained 
operation???

Can somebody please confirm this observation?

> isn't great 384*2xx.  The F-21 and I-21 is supposed to be much better.

384x200 is sufficient for starters. 640x512 would be better, though.
 
> Like I21 like F-21, but wanted I21 type device.

Afair i21 was meant to be proprietary technology, avalable only to iTV.

> >> them), and THE 32-BIT P32.  Announcements of products would be good too.

Eugene

> [email-masked]

_________________________________________________________________________________
| mailto: [email-masked] | transhumanism >H, cryonics,         |
| mailto: [email-masked]    | nanotechnology, etc. etc.           |
| mailto: [email-masked] | "deus ex machina, v.0.0.alpha"      |
| icbmto: N 48 10'07'' E 011 33'53''      | http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/~ui22204 |