nail on the head

MF Blume (mfblume@ns.sympatico.ca)
Tue, 04 Feb 1997 12:47:31 -0800

Robert J. Brown wrote:

>     moon> On Wed, 8 Jan 1997, "Robert J. Brown" <rj@eli.wariat.org>
>     moon> wrote:
>     >>>>>>> "moon" == moon <moon@netjava.com> writes:
>     >>
>     moon> Bro. Mark Heard a preacher preach something last years that
>     moon> I really enjoyed. (Even though some didn't enjoy it, even
>     moon> heard that one apologised to his church for what the man
>     moon> preached, but it was all truth) He was preaching about the
>     moon> Red Heifers, and about the gentiles providing that Red
>     moon> Heifer to Israel for the sacrifice. He said that Jesus was
>     moon> our sacrifice, once and for all, and that when the Red
>     moon> Heifer was sacrificed, it would not be of God. Further more,
>     moon> he said that _NO_ Child of God had any business being
>     moon> involved in it.
>
>     >> Well, I believe that God told us these things would come to
>     >> pass, and that when we saw that they did, to look up, for our
>     >> redemption draweth nigh.  We obviously want our redemption,
>     >> right?  So why is it wrong to help these thisng come to pass
>     >> "that the scriptures might be fulfilled"?

That sounds similar to the idea that WE choose when Christ will return,
by brining to pass prophecy.  I do not think Judas thought,
"I will help Jesus die for humanity by betraying him."

Sounds almost like "Kingdom theology" dealings:
	"We're bringing back the king."

>     moon> Matt 27:3 3 Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw
>     moon> that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again
>     moon> the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders,
>     moon> (KJV)
>
>     moon> Was Judas right? What was wrong with Judas helping condemn
>     moon> Jesus. It was for-told that it would happen, and someone had
>     moon> to do it.
>
> Well, Jesus allowed John the Baptist to baptize him "that the
> scriptures might be fulfilled".

That does not mean Jesus consciously worked the situation out
to fulfill prophecy.  It simply means God foreknew what would happen
and foretold it to the prophets.  And The New Testament comments,
as an afterthought, that what was happening that day was what the
prophets foretold.  - Not: What happened that day was an ingenious
effort onm the behalf of Christ to observe prophecy and make a
conscious efort to fulfill it.

Any old false prophet could have done that. ;-)

> Should he have resisted and cause
> John to baptize him against his will so it would not look like a
> set-up?

Thiink of it like this:  It was a set up is Jesus consciously
did it only to help prophecy be fulfilled.

> Judas' actions also caused him to betray Jesus.
>
> The sale of red heiffers is necessary to provide the waters of
> purification so that the priests might be prepared to offer sacrifice.
> Besides, if the church is raptured before this animal sacrifice all
> starts again,

That is only if your idea of pretrib rapture is true.

I agree with the pastor, I would not asist anything that would
disagree with the fact that God forbids any other sacrifices,
besides those of praise, since Jesus Christ.

> the church age gentile form of salvation is no longer
> available anyway, so who is to sya whether such sacrifice is wrong at
> that time?

I beg to differ strongly.  I beleive Acts 2:38 salvation will occur
until the Battle of Armageddon.

--
In Christ,
Mike Blume