Answers to questions

Dee Goepel (dee@kagoona.mitre.org)
Thu, 06 Feb 1997 09:03:23 -0500

> >Timothy Litteral wrote:
> > 2 Peter 3, "6 Whereby the world that then was, being
> > overflowed with water, perished:"
> >
> > This is what was refered to in Jeremiah, the flood which
> > left the world "void and without form" AND destroyed cities
> > and the like.
>
> MF Blume wrote:
> This flood is a pre-adamic flood.  Notice Gen 1 says the
> world was covered with water after it mentions the world being
> void and without form.
>
> If Noah's flood was the first, then God's words to Noah
> regarding no other floods would cause Noah to ask, "Who said
> you would do it again?  This is the only time you ever did it!"
> But if there had been a fllod before Noah's flood, then no wonder
> God told Noah another flood will not come.

Hm. This is an interesting perspective for sure.  But I don't think
God's words to Noah are enough to conclude that there were previous
floods that Noah knew of.  The reaction of the people of Noah's time
indicates that no one believed such a thing could happen.  Noah
followed his faith in God, but not because he knew there had been
floods before and this was just another.  That would greatly detract
from the faith it took to believe God about the matter.  Part of the
point was that this was completely foreign and unbelievable to
anyone (even Noah) at that time, but Noah trusted God no matter how
preposterous the notion sounded.

I also think it is just like God to know what we are thinking/worrying
about when we haven't voiced it (and maybe aren't even aware ourselves).
God knew that after experiencing something as powerful as this flood
Noah would always be wondering, "is it going to happen again?" and
worried about it.  That is our human nature.  God was giving him
reassurance that this would never be done again, not because it was
a repeated act, but because it was so devastating and powerful that
Noah was sure to be uneasy in the future wondering if it might come
again.

Just my thoughts on it.  I am not a bible scholar though, and I think
the idea of previous floods is an interesting one, as I said.  If
there are other scriptures (besides the earth being covered in water
before the land formed) to support this idea, I would enjoy hearing
more about it.

-Dee