HF Workshop .... listowner's pet peeves.....grrrrrrr

Tyler Nally (tnally@gisg.gi.net)
Fri, 7 Feb 1997 12:22:36 -0600

Greetings Saints in Jesus name!

This is a looooooooooong post.  However, if you are at all
interested in making this a *better* forum, I highly expect
you to read the whole thing and catch the concepts contained
herein.....

I'm writing all of you in an effort to try and clean up
the postings a little bit....  I don't mind the effort
given to post the ideas, but I think that much is left to
be desired as far as editing and being mindful of different
aspects of posting....

This workshop will deal with the aspect of *posting to
much* from a previously posted message as well as something
ya'll might not be aware of that the listprocessor will
definitely check and eventually reject.....

The anatomy of a piece of email is that it has several
different parts:
   1) email headers
   2) email body
   3) email signature file (sometimes)

An example message might look something like this in it's
entirety.  First of all the email headers will have several
different parts.

There will be the lines that *reflect* the different machines
that actually have handled the piece of email and when and
either from where it's come from or where it's going to.
Those lines are always at the *beginning* of a piece of
email and they always start a line with *Received:*, like
this:

17:32:21 CST

The newest handling of the piece of email is closer to the top (when
delivery happened) compared to when it was first sent out by whom ever
originated it as the last *Received:* line.  In this example, Bro.
Richard
sent me a piece of email at about 5:32pm last night from a machine
called
bif.cd.com, bif.cd.com gave it to beltway(.cd.com), beltway.cd.com gave
it to a machine here at the office called centri.gisg.gi.net, registered
the Message-ID with itself, passed it on to wolf.gisg.gi.net, then
handed
off to a Microsoft Exchange client a little later.... you can see all
the
different hops the piece of email took to get here.  (Heh, heh, heh....
you can also see how differently each system's clock is set because none
of the systems times are remotely the same) :)

Next we see who the message is from:

  From: richardm@cd.com (Richard Masoner)

Next we see the *unique identification mark* placed on this piece
of email by Bro. Masoner's machine that he composed the message on
when he sent it off.  If you look closely at the first part of the
Message-ID you see that it's the date and time the message was sent:

          97 year, 02 Feb, 06 day, 2332 (not sure)
          AA13198 (original message-id code assigned by bif.cd.com)

So... in a way, you can see that this message is *unique* just like
a person's email address is.  That makes it easy for investigators
to track a particular message around to find out it's origin in
case someone is doing email bomb kinda stuff.

Then the subject line that's contained in the headers, obviously,
this example shows a REply message: