Answers to questions

MF Blume (mfblume@ns.sympatico.ca)
Sat, 08 Feb 1997 18:34:14 -0800

Dee Goepel wrote:

> > MF Blume wrote:
> > This flood is a pre-adamic flood.  Notice Gen 1 says the
> > world was covered with water after it mentions the world being
> > void and without form.
> >
> > If Noah's flood was the first, then God's words to Noah
> > regarding no other floods would cause Noah to ask, "Who said
> > you would do it again?  This is the only time you ever did it!"
> > But if there had been a fllod before Noah's flood, then no wonder
> > God told Noah another flood will not come.
>
> Hm. This is an interesting perspective for sure.  But I don't think
> God's words to Noah are enough to conclude that there were previous
> floods that Noah knew of.

I agree with you.  It is merely supporting thoughts.  But the references
to Peter's flood and the "world that then was" seems to distinguish it
from Noah's flood.  In Noah's flood the world remained the same.  In
the Pre-adamic flood, the wolrd was definitely renovated, and life was
created again.

> Just my thoughts on it.  I am not a bible scholar though, and I think
> the idea of previous floods is an interesting one, as I said.  If
> there are other scriptures (besides the earth being covered in water
> before the land formed) to support this idea, I would enjoy hearing
> more about it.
>
> -Dee

There are more.

Isa 34:11  But the cormorant and the bittern shall possess it; the
owl also and the raven shall dwell in it: and he shall stretch out
upon it the line of confusion, and the stones of emptiness.

This is referring to the fall of Idumea.  It uses words "confusion" and
"emptiness" which are  the same Hebrew words used for "void and without
form".  The words in Isaiah describe the state of being AFTER a devastation.
So, Genesis 1:2 seems to convey that thought, also.

In Gen 1:2, the term "WAS" in "And the earth was without form, and void;"
is a word sometimes used with a "simple accusative" - or IOW, can be rendered
"to be made" or "became".

The following verse shows this:

Gen 19:26  But his wife looked back from behind him, and she BECAME a
pillar of salt.

Same hebrew word for BECAME in Gen 19:26 and WAS in gen 1:2.

TOHU is the hebrew word for WITHOUT FORM.  And TOHU is used again
in:

Isa 45:18  For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God
himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it,
he created it not in *VAIN*, he formed it to be inhabited: I am
the LORD; and there is none else.

The word VAIN is translated from TOHU.  So if Gen 1:2 says that
the world was "TOHU" and Isa 45:18 says God created not the world
"TOHU", then there is a gap of time in which Satan fell between Gen 1:1,
when God created earth, and 1:2.  No time is mentioned which would have
passed between verses 1 and 2.  It could have been A LOOOONG time
(Again, read Jeremiah 4:23-27 along with Isaiah 14:12,16-18 and compare
them with Gen 1:2.)

Gen 1:2 begins with "AND".  In the Hebrew, the use of AND in this
verse proves that the first verse is not a summary of the situation
stated in the first verse, as many think it is when they say the
second verse merely describes the manner in which God created the earth,
as though God created the world void and without form.
"AND" is never used in Hebrew in such a manner.  This makes verse 2
the holder oon information having nothing to do with verse 1.  It is a
record of a totally different picture.  Verse 2 is restricted only to
the earth.  If verse was a summary of verse 1, the heaven wuold be discussed
anyway.

And the word MADE used throughout Gen 1 in referring to the physical implies
making something from existing material in the Hebrew.  CREATE is to make from
nothing.  Notice where "created" and "made" are used in that chapter!

Consider also:

Isa 24:1  Behold, the LORD maketh the earth empty, and maketh it
waste, and turneth it upside down, and scattereth abroad the
inhabitants thereof.

...in wrath against Satan?

--
In Christ,