The only race is the one you run :-)

"Troy L. Fullerton" (denbear@revealed.net)
Tue, 11 Feb 1997 17:04:15 -0600

At 11:13 AM    P 2/10/97 -0600, you wrote:

>I don't feel like I've missed out or anything because I don't have a
>totally homogenous cultural background.  There are some
>well-intentioned individuals who feel I might somehow be "missing"
>something because I don't identify with my Japanese ancestors or my
>Choctaw heritage or whatever: I just roll my eyes at those kind of
>allegations since it's not something I've experienced, nor was it the
>experience of several other Americans I've been friends with over the
>years.  I'm just confused on those forms that ask me what race I am,
>since I can check four of the seven boxes available :-)
>
>Richard "one-man melting pot" Masoner

        What is strange, too, as I've mentioned before, is the tendancy to
classify someone according to the darkest race in his line.  My wife is
Choctaw because of her grandmother's Indian heritage--even though her dad is
Belgian and
so white he would almost glow in the dark.  Her mother was also half-white.
Yet my dad (not in the church, and a racist) literally threatened to kill me
to keep me from marrying her, and her dad had similar problems.  Racism is
so ugly and so unexcusable in the church---saints are supposed to know better.

Troy