How old is Earth?

MF Blume (mfblume@ns.sympatico.ca)
Wed, 12 Feb 1997 10:55:26 -0800

Gia Moran wrote:

> I've been taught that the earth is around 6,000 years old, but I have never
> heard supporting evidence. I believe this number has been deduced from the
> "begats" found in Genesis.
>
> Can someone explain why the secular world dates the earth in the millions
> and billions? On what do they base their theory (and it IS a theory)?
> ----------------------------
>
> Gia Moran

Both the world's thoughts and the 6,000 years idea are theories.

It is really based upon whether Adam's creation in gen 1 is the first
or the second.  I feel Adam's creation was the second.  I feel that
there is a gap oif millions of years between verse 1 and 2 of Gen 1.

But if I felt that there was not a gap, then I would believe the earth
was only 6,000 years old since Adam was created  6,000 years ago.

--
In Christ,
Mike Blume