Cosmetics

"James H. Cape" (jcape@bellsouth.net)
Wed, 12 Feb 1997 22:49:02 -0800

suprdave@lightspeed.net wrote:

> For the serious Bible student, here is some real gold nuggets to ponder
> regarding the subject of cosmetics or make-up:
>
> The usual argument against make-up, especially lipstick, is based on the
> verse which says that Jezebel painted her face. "And when Jehu was come to
> Jezreel, Jezebel heard of it; and she painted her face, and tired her hair,
> and look out at a window." (II Kings 9:30)
>
> It should be pointed out , first of all, that the portion of her face which
> she painted was the area around her eyes. The word here translated "face"
> (Strong's Concordance #5869) is the common word for eyes. About 589 times it
> is translated "eye" or "eyes" in the Bible. The marginal rendering of this
> verse says: "...put her eyes in painting"; Goodspeed: "She painted her
> eyelashes"; Moffatt: "...painting her eyes"; Lamsa: "She painted her eyelids
> with kohl"; Rotherham: "She set her eyes in stibium"; Amplified: "She
> painted her eyes"; and so forth. There is no doubt about it. The portion of
> the face that Jezebel painted was the area around her eyes.
>
> Strangely enough, there are Christian women who use mascara on their eyes,
> but would not think of  using lipstick on their lips - because Jezebel
> painted her face. They do not realize, apparently, that the specific part of
> the face that Jezebel painted was her eyes.
>
> Jerusalem's unfaithfulness to God was sometimes likened to a woman who was
> unfaithful to her husband. The message of the prophets was that even though
> she made herself fair, her lovers would turn against her and she would be
> judged. In such a context the following verses were given:
>
> "Ye have sent for men to come from far...and, lo, they came: for whom thou
> didst wash thyself, painted thy eyes, and deckedst thyself with
> ornaments"(Eze.23:40). And , "Though thou deckest thee with ornaments of
> gold, though thou rentest thy face <eyes> with painting, in vain shalt thou
> make thyself fair; thy lovers will despise thee, they will seek thy life"
> (Jer.4:30)
>
> These 2 verses, along with the one about Jezebel, have been quoted by those
> who oppose the use of make-up. However, the painting of the eyes was a
> common custom of the time. Other practices mentioned in these verses were
> equally common and unquestioned. In the case of Jezebel, we read that she
> "painted her face <eyes>, and tired her hair, and looked out a window." She
> "tired" , that is, attired her hair. Some take this to mean that she combed
> her hair. As far as we would know from this verse, if painting her eyes was
> a sin, then so was combing her hair. Obviously, true doctrines or standards
> cannot be built on incidental statements such as these.
>
> Before the woman mentioned in Ezekiel painted here eyes, she took a bath.
> Was this a sin? The woman mentioned in Jeremiah painted her eyes and clothed
> herself with crimson. But even the wearing of crimson, in itself, cannot
> [...]

I would like to say, "thank you". For what? For the Word of God.
I enjoyed what you wrote. In my way of thinking, I am much more
pleased to see a lady with sobriety (soundness of mind, self-control)
than one that has no discretion about her at all. Peter tells a woman
how to win her husband if he is lost. Not the putting on of gold and
 apparel. Neither the plaiting of the hair. But, a chaste
conversation ( I Peter 3:1-5), the ornament of a meek and quiet
spirit. A wife can win her husband with the heart and not the outward
appearance.
   I feel a person should be as close to Jesus as they possibly can
and do whatever he wills. Seek out your own salvation with fear and
trembling before the Lord.         Jim Cape