Revelation discussion - 2 of 2

MF Blume (mfblume@ns.sympatico.ca)
Thu, 13 Feb 1997 12:12:16 -0800

Timothy Litteral wrote:

> The term "Temple of God" in the day of John refered
> specifically and exclusively to the BUILDING that stood on
> the Temple mound.

> In Johns day "the Temple of God" had a WORLD of difference
> in meaning than the term "the Temple of the Holy Ghost."

Not be so flat in my response, but I must give a conclusive "Wrong."

1 Cor 3:17  If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God
destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

This verse uses the term "TEMPLE OF GOD".  Is it "exclusively" used
for the "building" that stood on the temple mound?  No.
Is this a reference to what you would call "John's day"?  Yes.
John was alive and well when this verse was written.

So your premise is not correct, brother.

> The next point made was that God must somehow approve of
> the Temple for it to wear the title "Temple of God" but
> what about when the Temple was used for the worship of
> idols?  It was still refered to as the Temple of God.

The same thing can be said for our bodies.  He speaks against
fornication in Corinthians 6 and says the temple is not intended
for that.  Fornication was compared to "idolatry," since idols
were other gods against which God was jealous.  In fact,
the reference to FORNICATION in speaking about Jezebel
in the letter to the church at Thyatira uses the connotation
to be interpreted as going after other gods.

> The point I am trying to make here is that Rev. Blume very
> correctly states and sees that the book of Revelation is
> about salvation since it is about how God reveals Himself
> in the flesh of Jesus Christ and I agree 100%.  I have just
> been trying to find a way to say that this doesn't in any
> way exclude a FURTHER interpretation of events of the near
> future.

I agree wholeheartedly.  Let me clarify myself and say that
Revelation certainly speaks of endtimes, but not so much as has been
promoted, nor, I feel, in the manner it has been promoted.  And I
feel that salvation and spiritual growth are spoken of MORE than
endtime events.

The world will end.  What is most vital when that world ends?
It is the salvation and spiritual growth of God's people.

> You see, when it is all said and done it is more
> important that ALL get what Rev. Blume is saying about the
> salvation message that is in the Book of Revelation
> while understanding the ins and outs of the tribulation is
> of nearly no practical value.  No one's salvation hinges
> upon understanding of whether the locust are demons from
> the pit or are indeed supernatural but physical bugs.
>
> What I feel lead to do is to write my assesment of
> Revelation but to not enter it into a field of debate since
> there is no way to carry on such a debate PUBLICALLY and
> preserve the more important aspect of personal salvation as
> the untainted and ABSOLUTELY primary message of the Book.

Good point.

> What I will do is to post this on my site and will freely
> discuss this in private with anyone.  You see my dear
> friends, this message is the one that God has "hidden" in
> the book for nearly two thousand years and means for ALL to
> see.

It has been an open book for 2000 years, and not hidden.  Maybe I
understood you wrong, but to say that it is a hidden book implies that
its truths were reserved for the last generation only.  Daniel's
book was sealed, but Revelation was unsealed when Jesus descended
to the earth after having risen from the dead.

Contrast Daniel and Revelation.

Dan 12:4  But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book,
even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and
knowledge shall be increased.

Dan 12:8  And I heard, but I understood not: then said I, O my
Lord, what shall be the end of these things?
Dan 12:9  And he said, Go thy way, Daniel: for the words are closed
up and sealed till the time of the end.

Knowledge about the last days would be increased IN the last days.

It was not for Daniel's time.

Now notice the difference in Rev.

Rev 1:1  The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him,
to show unto his servants things which must shortly come to
pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his
servant John:
Rev 1:2  Who bare record of the word of God, and of the
testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw.
Rev 1:3  Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the
words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written
therein: for the time is at hand.

A great difference.  "Daniel, close it and seal it."  "John,
it is opened by Jesus, blessed are you if you understand it."
If it was sealed for 2000 years then God would tell John the SAME
THING todl to Daniel.   "Go your way, John.  You won't know
in your day for it is for the last days."  But we find that God
said it would shortly come to pass in John's day!

Fact is that something sealed CANNOT be understood.  But Jesus
unsealed the book. When?  My study explains how that it was unsealed
by Jesus before Acts 2. See my study at:

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/mfblume/bitelife.thm

When did the last days being according to New Testament writers?

Heb 1:2  Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom
he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

Acts 2:16  But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;
Acts 2:17  And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God,
I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and
your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions,
and your old men shall dream dreams:

When did Peter say Joel's prophecy about the last days was fulfilled?
In Acts 2!!!!!!  Way back 2000 years ago.  The fact is that the Bible
itself, and not a 20th century prophecy scholar, implied that the
last days were the whole church age!

> Like I said, there are other things of value in the
> Revelation, but salvation is the most important.
>
> I am certain that unity is more important than the marginal
> value of the knowlege to be obtained.

Exactly.  Thanks for your thoughtful points, brother!

--
In Christ,
Mike Blume