Revs. 1:1

MF Blume (mfblume@ns.sympatico.ca)
Sat, 15 Feb 1997 02:53:15 -0800

Hi all.  I must say this study is certainly causing us
to dig in a little deeper.  Great questions and comments!

James H. Cape wrote:

> I have read some of the comments about Revelations 1:1 and come to
> conclude that there are some errors in some of your interpretations.
> First of all, the reveltion is about Jesus Christ not one given to
> Jesus Christ. Doesn't it seem stange to think that God was giving
> a revelation to Jesus Christ about Jesus Christ?????

Look at the grammar of Revelation 1:1

Rev 1:1  The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him,
to show unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass;
and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:

God gave to Jesus Christ the "revelation".  And Jesus Christ
was to show it to His servants.  It doesn't seem strange at all
when you realize that it is called a revelation of Jesus Christ
simply because it would go THROUGH CHRIST to the believer.  God
gave it to Him in order TO SHOW US.  The purpose was not to teach
Jesus Christ anything, but for Jesus Christ to teach it to us.
And angel was involved, too, to give it to John.  Yet it still is
seen that God gave Jesus Christ the revelation.

>     Revelations 1:1  The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God
> gave unto him (who is him?),

Jesus Christ.  If the "him" is an angel then why is no angel mentioned
BEFORE the word "him" in the context of the paragraph?  It is incorrect
grammar to say that somebody gave something to "him", meaning an angel,
when a "him" has not been designated beforehand as an angel.  Grammar
does not follow with your thoughts that HIM refers to an angel who
is mentioned later.

It is like me saying: "I spoke to God and received a revelation from him, and
He sent his angel to verify it."  Does that mean the angel gave me
the revelation?  No.  The angel only verified it.

The "SUBJECT" (grammatically speaking)  of Rev 1:1 is JESUS CHRIST.
Therefore the pronoun HIM used after the subject must refer to Jesus
Christ.  That is only proper grammar.

> to show unto his servants(pay attention
> to servants)

>From God to Jesus to servants through an angel.

> things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and
> signified it by his angel (the him of the first clause) unto his
> servant (as in the first clause) John:
>       In other words God gave the revelation of Jesus Christ along
> with other things to the angel, and the angel was sent and signified
> it unto John.

Jesus Christ gave this revelation from God by means of an angel
to John.  God gave it to Jesus Christ, who gave it to John by an
angel.

John 7:16  Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but
his that sent me.

All through the Bible the thought of God giving Jesus Christ
something to give to us is noted.

>       In interpreting Revelations we should note that there are four
> groups of interpreters.

Where is there scripture for us to necessarily do this?

My thoughts go as follows: in interpreting Revelation we do not need to
even consider how many groups of interpreters there are.  We need
to seek the Holy Ghost to guide us.  And if men were correct, as
many certainly were, we  will discover that which the Holy Ghost
taught us agrees with what these men taught.  Then we can say
these men were taught by the Spirit, too.

Rev 5:1  And I saw in the right hand of him [WHO IS THIS HIM?]
that sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside,
sealed with seven seals.

It is God, obviously.

Rev 5:2  And I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice,
Who is worthy to open the book, and to loose the seals thereof?

Someone is asked to come and take the book.  From Whom?  From GOD.

Rev 5:5  And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold,
the Lion of the tribe of Juda, the Root of David, [WHO IS THIS
LION OF JUDAH? - JESUS CHRIST] hath prevailed
to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof.
Rev 5:6  And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of
the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as
it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are
the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.
Rev 5:7  And he [ WHO "TOOK" THE BOOK?  JESUS CHRIST.] came and
took the book out of the right hand of him that sat upon the throne.
[WHO WAS THE ONE JESUS CHRIST TOOK THE BOOK FROM?  GOD.]

What did Rev. 1:1 say the book was given to Jesus Christ for?  To
show to His servants.

Rev 6:1  And I [WHO IS "I"?  - JOHN - a servant Rev 1:1.] saw when the
Lamb [WHO IS THE LAMB? JESUS CHRIST.  FROM WHERE DID JESUS GET THIS
BOOK HE OPENED?  GOD] opened one of the seals, and I heard, as it
were the noise of thunder, one of the four beasts saying, Come and
see. [WHO IS THE BEAST TELLING TO COME AND SEE THE BOOK? - JOHN]

Rev 6:2  And I saw, [JOHN SAW THE BOOK.  WHO HELD THE BOOK TO SHOW JOHN?
JESUS CHRIST.  WHERE DID JESUS GET THE BOOK?  FROM GOD ON THE THRONE.]

This is Revelation 1:1 all over again!

Rev 1:1  The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him,
to show unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass;
and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:

Was the "angel" of Rev. 1:1  involved in the giving and taking of the
book?  yes.

The angel which signifies these things to John is seen throughout
revelation.  And especially noted :

Rev 21:9  And there came unto me one of the seven angels which
had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked
with me, saying, Come hither, I will show thee the bride, the
Lamb's wife.

Rev 21:15  And he that talked with me had a golden reed to
measure the city, and the gates thereof, and the wall thereof.

Rev 22:1  And he showed me a pure river of water of life,
clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of
the Lamb.

We notice that an ANGEL is involved, but that Jesus gives
John the Revelation (in Rev 10) and Jesus shows John the
book in Rev 6.  And an ANGEL is also involved in relaying messages
to John.

Rev 22:6  And he said unto me, These sayings are faithful and
true: and the Lord God of the holy prophets sent his angel to
show unto his servants the things which must shortly be done.
Rev 22:7  Behold, I come quickly: blessed is he that keepeth the
sayings of the prophecy of this book.

Above, the angle quotes Jesus , proving that Jesus Christ
gave the revelation to the Angel.  And Jesus Christ
took it from God.  I am not saying that Jesus Christ is not
God, but that SONSHIP receives from FATHERHOOD and gives to the
angel to give to us (Rev 5).

Rev 22:16  I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you
these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring
of David, and the bright and morning star.

None of these verses imply that God did not give Jesus Christ
the message to give to John through an angel.

--
In Christ,
Mike Blume