Revelation discussion - 1 of 2

"Dee Goepel" (dee@pobox.com)
Tue, 18 Feb 1997 12:11:08 -0500

> Timothy Litteral wrote:
> > The angel told Mary
> > literal events that took place.  Joseph (Mary's husband)
> > was told of literal events in his dreams.
> > I gotta put kids to bed so I can't go into depth.

MF Blume responded:
> Still, though, John received VISIONS as the means for
> things that would shortly come to pass.  That means we must
> study other visions in the Bible and compare them with Rev.
> in the interpretation.
>
> Even Ezekiel's experience of eating a scroll was a vision.
>
> For example, if we say that literal "marks" (computer chips
> or whatever) are to come in days ahead due to Rev 13,
> then why cannot we say that an actual beast with seven
> heads is not going to arise out of the sea?  SOME
> is certainly symbolic.  What visions in the past contained
> SOME symbolism and literalism?

What about when God gave Peter the vision of all those
"unclean" animals on the sheet.  There was both a symbolic
and literal message there, no?  Symbolically, Peter was
being told to go preach to and baptize the gentiles.  That
which was outcast/unclean, was now acceptable to God.  Yet,
literally those animals/foods were now permissable to be
eaten as well.  There was a literal, as well as a symbolic
message in the vision.

Just my $.02
-Dee Goepel