REVS.1:1

MF Blume (mfblume@ns.sympatico.ca)
Thu, 20 Feb 1997 11:05:16 -0800

Diogenes wrote:

> MF Blume wrote:
> >
> > James H. Cape wrote:
> >
> > > What Jesus spoke concerning
> > > the destruction of the temple was not so much a revealing as it was
> > > prophecy.
> >
> Jesus revealed to the disciples that the temple would be destroyed.
> Jesus prophecied that the temple would be destroyed.
> In what way are these statements different?
> Is one more true than another?
> Are they synonomous or antonymous?

Diogenes is right.  Prophecy is BOTH revealing and foretelling of future
events.

But I disagree that Revelation is about the destruction of the temple.

God would not set aside a whole book for such a materialistic issue.
It is far more spiritual than a building broken down.

Anyway: notice the meaning of "PROPHET" and "PROPHECY" in some notes
below, an also the context the term is used int he New Testament.

PROPHECY:

1 Cor 14:3  But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to
edification, and exhortation, and comfort.

>From Holman's dictionary:

"PROPHECY, PROPHETS Reception and declaration of a word from the
Lord through a direct prompting of the Holy Spirit and the human
instrument thereof. "

"Old Testament Three key terms are used of the prophet. Ro'eh and
hozeh are translated as "seer." The most important term, nabi,
is usually translated "prophet." It probably meant "one who is
called to speak."

".... The prophets did more than predict the future; their messages
called Israel to honor God. Their prophecies were not general
principles but specific words corresponding to Israel's historical context. "

[...]

"Hints for Interpretation Prophets intended to evoke faith by
proclamation, not merely to predict the future. Thus reading the prophets
with a lustful curiosity is inappropriate. Our primary desire must be to
know God, not just the facts of the future."

---

So, there are predictive prophecies which most people think are what
all prophecies concern themselves with.  Only predicitive
prophecy is fortelling the future.

---

"The New Testament The word prophetes means "to speak before" or "to
speak for." Thus it refers to one who speaks for God or Christ.
Prophets were also called pneumatics (pneumatikos), "spiritual ones"
(1 Cor. 14:37)."

Prophecy is not necessarily future predictions.

"Jesus called Himself a prophet (Luke 13:33). His miracles and
discernment were rightly understood as prophetic (John 4:19)"

"While teaching and prophecy are different, they also can be
related (Acts 13:1-2; Rev. 2:20). Some prophets "preached"
lengthy messages (Acts 15:32) and gave exposition to biblical
texts (Luke 1:67-79; Eph. 3:5; Rom. 11:25-36)."

> Is Rev. totally unrelated to those gospels, as you infer with your
> post?  Please I am uninformed concering your idea of revealing and
> prophecy.  I am needing something concrete to help me understand.  Your
> post is to me ummmm without merit.

You mentioned that John's gospel missed the points about the temple
destruction which the other Gospels did not miss.  And you say that
Revelation is John's whole book about it.  That may be a point, but
it certainly  does not prove that Rev. is talking about 70 AD.  Simply
because John never wrote of the 70 AD event in his gospel does not
mean that Rev. MUST be about that event.

I wil say that the thought of ANOTHER TEMPLE is indeed all related to
the 70 AD destruction.  And when Christ rode into Jerusalem and was
seen people holding palms and crying Hosanna, but later rejected
at the temple, we can see the time when He will march again and find
people with palms crying "hosanna" (Blessed be the King) in Rev.
7 in the TRUE TEMPLE - which is the Church.  So 70 AD has a lot
to do with it, but the MAIN thought of Revelation is that a NEW TEMPLE
of the church replaced the physical one.  I will forward a study
regarding this important key to understanding Revelation.

But I do not accept totally the thought of the ultra-
preterist idea that Rev. is committed to 70 AD events.  I feel it
is dedicated to spiritual maturity through typology and symbolism.
It involves the spiritual temple.
The entire Bible points towards salvation and subsequent spiritual
growth.  Why should Revelation be strictly about future events
or 70 AD?

> Revelation - apakolypsis - removing of the veil

Excellent!  Right on!

--
In Christ,
Mike Blume