Marriage.

" Kathleen Dimick" (kdimick@hotmail.com)
Mon, 24 Feb 1997 06:27:47 -0800 (PST)

Timothy Litteral wrote:

>Q: Can a person be saved if they were married got a
>divorce, and then remarried?
>
>A: If the reasons for the divorce falls under two narrow
>and specific catagories they can. The first of these is
>adultery and the second is if the spouse of a believer who
>is an unbeliever doesn't want to live with the new convert.
>Let's examine these separately.
>
>The only other instance that this can take place is if a
>new convert's spouse chooses not to "remain" with that
>person. This comes from 1 Corinthians 7:15 which says that
>if the unbelieving depart from the believing to let them go
>and that the believer is not under bondage. The only
>legitimate way for an unbeliever and a believer to be
>married is for two unbelievers to be married and for one to
>"become" a believer since believers are not to marry the
>unbelieving. In verse 16 however Paul says that if the
>unbeliever will stay for the believer to try to convert the
>unbeliever by their lifestyle. This too has the implication
>that the unbeliever is among the "dead" therefore "freeing"
>the believer but since we are called to peace not to
>"force" the issue.
>To recap, a person can remain saved after a divorce and
>remarriage if they are the innocent spouse of an adulterer
>and if they are a new convert whose spouse has chosen to
>leave them. If you have no other recourse you may leave and
>not divorce a spouse but you must not remarry and if you
>chose to you can be reconciled to your spouse.
>
>Any remarriages by a person who was divorced while a
>believer, even if backsliden, under any other circumstances
>than these makes them an adulterer until they terminate the
>marriage and remain unmarried. It is easy to see why the
>Apostles said that it would be better for a man not to
>marry then is it not?

Sorry to quote so much of this post but I felt it necessary to
ask my question.

What about a person (a believer) who married another believer but
then that person backslid.  You say:

>Any remarriages by a person who was divorced while a
>believer, even if backsliden, under any other circumstances
>than these makes them an adulterer until they terminate the
>marriage and remain unmarried.

Are you speaking of the believer who backslides, then divorces or
leaves his/her spouse or of the spouse who has been left or
divorced? (Complicated isn't it?!)  I ask because I am a believer
who married a believer who has since backslidden.  For now he
has chosen to remain in our home and therefore I am obligated to
remain with him (even though I have endured great sufferings and
troubles since he has a substance abuse problem).  What if he
chooses to leave me?  In your opinion then, must I remain
unmarried?

Kathy (welcoming any advice, but relying on God) Dimick
Falkville, Alabama
kdimick@hotmail.com