Marriage.

"Dee Goepel" (dee@pobox.com)
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 16:09:05 -0500

Timothy Litteral wrote:
> Q: Can a person be saved if they were married got a
> divorce, and then remarried?
>
> A: If the reasons for the divorce falls under two narrow
> and specific catagories they can. The first of these is
> adultery and the second is if the spouse of a believer who
> is an unbeliever doesn't want to live with the new convert.
> Let's examine these separately.

I think that the ideas expressed in this post were pretty
in line with my own opinions (based on scriptures).  So,
as far as the message goes, I basically agree.  I think,
however that it is important to specify the question that
is being asked.  The cases and scriptures presented gave
a general outline of when it is or is not a sin to be
divorced/remarried/etc., but this is not the same as asking
(as the question being quoted does) if the person can be
saved.  Whether something is a sin, and whether a person
who commited that act can be saved are two very different
questions.  I am by no means condoning sin or lessening
the severity of it, but the plain fact is that saved
Christians sin all the time.  Any lie, anything remotely
resembling gossip, any time throughout the day that you
were less than Christ-like in a given situation or less
than loving toward any person, all of these are a form
of sin.  By our human nature we cannot remain sinless.
Through the strength of Christ we can come as close to
it as possible, but *all* fall short.  That's just the
way we are.

So debating whether something is a sin or not is fine and
dandy, and it is certainly important to know in order to
avoid sin as much as possible.  But, determining whether
or not someone committed a sin doesn't determine whether
or not that same person is saved.  A person is not
unsaved simply because they have committed a sin.  That
is why Jesus died, so we could repent and be forgiven,
thus freeing us from the consequences of sin.

-Dee (saved by the undeserved mercy of God and not my own
righteousness) Goepel