Women in the pulpit

"Troy L. Fullerton" (denbear@revealed.net)
Wed, 26 Feb 1997 22:34:58 -0600

At 09:06 PM 2/22/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Troy wrote:
>Brother Hall and others interested in this issue,
>        I believe in women preachers and pastors, but I'm not going to
>twist the scriptures to maintain that belief, and Bro. Hall, may I
>respectfully suggest that that's what you have just done to I Cor.
>14:34-35.
>

>Steven Hall wrote:
>The interpetation I gave of these verses was from the Lord.

        Bro. Hall, the Lord isn't going to inspire you with an
interpretation of scripture that causes the Bible to not mean what it says.
In the entirety of I Cor. 14, Paul was giving instructions on conduct in
services, and this verse is no exception.

>How have I twisted the scripture,

        You have twisted scripture by saying that this one, isolated part of
the chapter must be merely a recap of questions the Corinthians were asking
Paul just because a few chapters back, Paul makes reference to them having
written to him. We have absolutely no reason to believe that.  Just because
the Corinthians had written to Paul about something he addressed in chapter
seven in no way gives us cause to assume that he was merely repeating a line
of thought that he disagrees with here.

>and What part don't you understand,

        The problem isn't that I don't understand what you are saying.  I do
understand, and I disagree wholeheartedly and am greatly troubled by such
careless mishandling of scripture.

>Paul didn't write verses to 34:35 as a command from the Lord, He was
>only writing down, what was written to him, and his answer was "What?
>came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only?
>Makes perfectly good sense to me.

Following this line of logic, I Cor. 6:18 could be an example of Paul
disagreeing with the idea of fleeing fornication and the committing of
fornication being a sin against one's own body.  After all, we know the
Corinthians wrote Paul and asked about things, and the next verse starts
with the word "What?"

>Brother Troy, I ask respectfully, "Do you think the word of God came to
>you only?"

        Oh, absolutely not.  The word of God has come to lots of sincere,
seeking people.  It's what they do with it after they get it that counts.
(II Peter 3:16--As also in all [Paul's] epistles, speaking in them of these
things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are
unlerned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto
their own destruction.)