Baptism

Walter Copes (wcopes@communique.net)
Sat, 6 Apr 1996 12:41:30 -0600

To: mbasset@iconn.net (Mark Bassett)
Subject: Re: Baptism Question (response)
From: wcopes@communique.net (Walter Copes)

 > I have a question for you. Why is the word "be baptized" in Acts
 > 2:38 a third person imperative unlike the word "repent"? The third
 > person imperative DENOTES PERMISSION. Why was it used instead of
 > the 2nd person imperative? Also why is a word of permission used in
 > Acts 8:37 where Phillip says "thou mayest". THAT ALSO DENOTES
 > PERMISSION!!!!

 MB> The desperate cry in Acts 2:37 sets the stage for the response.
 MB> It should not be assumed that this expression in any way
 MB> indicates that the baptism is not essential.

 MB> All who are not believers in forcible baptism should not have a
 MB> problem with this construction. It sheds additional light on the
 MB> matter, and I was expressively thankful to Mick James, a
 MB> Presbyterian who argued this point with me as a witness against
 MB> the essentiality of baptism for bringing it to my attention.

     The next time this individual asks this question I will now have
a good answer. Perhaps he will be a little more careful about asking
such things in the future. He apparently thinks he has found the per-
fect question to destroy the belief in the essentiality of baptism for
the remission of sins. It is interesting how upset he gets when I
bring up the historical aspect. He has no answer for it.

Walter Copes
The joy of the Lord is my strength
(wcopes@communique.net)
Walter L Copes