Humor In Pentecost

Adam Floro (adam@siu.edu)
Tue, 9 Apr 1996 15:11:57 -0500

Hi, folks!

I don't post here much, mostly just an avid reader. :) Anyway, I opened the
latest digest (119 2/2) and found the following "joke".....

>It's already Easter weekend in April, and it is still less than 30
>degrees here in Minneapolis!  We're having one heck of a winter!
                                                ^^^^

>                AN ANNOTATED THERMOMETER
>
>60 -Californians put on sweaters(if they can find one in their wardrobe)

[snip]

and......

>-60 -H*** freezes over, Polar bears move south!!
      ^^^^

My point is simple:  On a mailing list such as Higher-Fire which is
supposedly  moderated by Apostolics/Pentecostals such as myself, why are the
words "heck" and "H***" being used in the context of a joke?  For that
matter, why not blatantly use the word "HELL" instead of hiding behind a
cowardly shield of asterisks?

On the other hand, I can also understand that much of what we do is not led
by the Spirit.  We stumble, we fall, we repent, Jesus picks us back up and
sets us on the solid rock.  I would be the first to certainly forgive such
an oversight, but please lets "get a grip" folks.  After all we're
Pentecostals, not David Lettermen!  [sic]

So, here comes my topic for discussion...Should there be humor in Pentecost?

Opened a big can 'o worm, didn't I.  But, salvation is very serious
business.  Not much humor at all.  You know, in the 10 years I've been in
church, I've noticed that the revival fires begin to dim when everyone is
standing around cracking jokes rather than getting serious with God.

I understand the need for joy in Pentecost, but do we really need levity and
humor?  My stand on this argument is that Joy is from God and Humor is of
the Devil.  Any rebuttals?

Bro. Adam Floro
adam@siu.edu