Depression

Mark Bassett (mbasset@iconn.net)
Thu, 18 Apr 1996 07:05:41 GMT

>Anti-depressants are not Happy Pills -- they do not change the
>mood of the person taking the medication like speed or cocaine
>will.  In fact, they have zero effect on mentally healthy
>people, and there is no illegal market for anti-depressants.

I just wanted to insert some quotes found this evening on the net:

In article <4kq6t1$l2q@tribune.concentric.net>,
SHADOWDEMON <Shddemon@cris.com> wrote:
>In article <4kpg8b$53f@saims.skidmore.edu>,
>patina  <bmiller@scott.skidmore.edu> wrote:
>>francis--
>>antidepressants don't leave you "continuously intoxicated"--that's one
>>of the most irritating myths ever (and it's exactly what my mom thinks).
>>
>>brooke
>>
>What do they do then? Seemed like Prozac did that to me.
>If you take a drug every day, its effects continue. More noticable with
>drugs like Haldol, Valium, etc. Still happens with Prozac tho, as far as I
>know. Any drug that acts on the brain could be described as "intoxicating"
>it...

----------

i'd have to agree, with regards to prozac. i've been off of it now for
oh, almost two months and i keep getting what i refer to as the
'prozac woozies' and i'm damned sick of it already, thank you. i don't
know if it's a result of some sort of 'intoxication' (frankly i doubt
it) or the fact that my brain compensated for the presence of the
prozac in some chemical way that still lingers and this wooziness is a
result of my brain trying to get itself back to normal. whatever it
is, i look forward to it being OVER.

and yes it feels nice not to be drugged every day... :)

-------
Prozac has NEVER caused any kind of tremors or shakiness in me.I would
discuss this stuff with your doctor...but I CAN recommend looking into
Melatonin....I bought a bottle a few months ago..and whenever I DO
have trouble falling asleep, or I want to get a really GOOD night's
sleep, I can take one or two Melatonin...and I fall right to sleep
with no hangover. It's a miracle drug. I also gave my Mom a bottle of
it for Christmas...and she has switched from her Desyrl to the
Melatonin. She swears by it.

Hope this helps a little...please don't give up on the prozac...it
saved my life. I really don't think that is what is causing your
symptoms.

>>> This sounds like a little religion, doesnt it ?
>>> Anyone else out there ever been depressed and had people tell you that you ought to go to God and NOT take drugs ?
------------------

I am cuttently taking 500 mg of serizone and 50 mg of elivil and in
the tail end, I hope of a flare. I suffer multiple problems, FM, ADD,
MS and Post polio. With a good deal of depression thrown in.

I manage to hold a good, rewarding job programming real time
computers. It fit in well with my abilites and problems. Of all my
problems depression it the most difficult.

>>> No doubt people really need help. Did the drug REALLY do anything here ? How do you evaluate the experience ?
>>> He is happier ? Again, thats the goal of ANY drug experience in one way or anther, that is, to select an experience.

>I have being taking PROZAC for about one year.  And one the side effects that
>I noticed, is that I never used to remember my dreams, but now I always have
>dreams and they are very real.  Do you Know what are the reasons for this
>side-effect?

I have noticed the same thing.  Take Prozac, get really vivid dreams
when I'm asleep.  Don't know exactly why, but I have a guess.  They
say one of the possible side effects of Prozac is insomnia... perhaps
Prozac makes you sleep lighter, so you remember your dreams better.
Or not... just an idea, really.  I *have* noticed that I sleep a lot
lighter on the Prozac.

------------
#?

Claude de Contrecoeur (Cyrano@beehive.twics.com) wrote:
: Prozac can induce subhallucinations,contrary to other SSRIs.
: These can be well observed if,let say,you observe the darkness of the night.You may
: slowly start to notice slight modifications of contrast and faint hallucinations.
: I would be interested if those people taking Prozac try some experiments in darkness.
: Just sit and observe! Then report if you notice anything unusual

Is this effect something which happens to people taking normal doses
of Prozac for a period of time, or is it something which happens when
at  attempt to use Prozac "recreationally" is made.  By taking a high
dose and trying to get the effect the same day?

>>> No recreational use ?

-------
#?
I've heard that Prozac among its many uses, is also used to treat
shyness. Does anybody have any FIRST HAND experience with this????

>>> treating shyness ?

------
#?
: Thought you might be interested in hearing about a song with this title,
: so here goes.  It's a song on Cheryl Wheeler's latest album (*Mrs.
: Pinocci's Guitar*).

: Cheryl explains in the liner notes to the album that she wrote the first
: part of the song on her way to her first visit with a psychiatrist.
: "About 30 days and capsules of Prozac later someone asked me if I felt
: better and without really considering I replied, 'Yes, but I don't know
: if it's peace or Prozac.'  Hearing myself say this I just laughed,
: because it was so true."

: The chorus goes something like this:

: Is it peace or is it Prozac
: I don't care
: No need to know that
: When the moon is full
: and the world's too close
: I just keep my smile and I up my dose

: Is it peace or is it Prozac
: Is this mellow am I a maniac
: Is my mind out there
: and can I get it back
: Is it peace I feel or is it Prozac

: The song, like I said, is by a folk singer named Cheryl Wheeler....

-------
#?
I recently switched from Prozac to Welbutrin.  While taking Prozac, I
felt violent and uncontrollable.  I fear that this new prescription
may cause the same thing.  There are so many different drugs for what
I have been diagnosed with.  How do I know if a posative effect is
being made on me?  It has only been three weeks so far with this new
drug.  How long before I start to notice  its effect?  Also, I was
prescribed Paxil today...am I ever going to level out

--------
#?
http://dejanews2.dejanews.com/cgi-bin/dngetdoc.html?RECNUM=%3c4kkmjb$ HREF="mailto:2pc@misc.twics.com">2pc@misc.twics.com%3e%231/15+SERVER=dnserver.db96q1+CONTEXT=829811154.1794

------
#
>and yes it feels nice not to be drugged every day... :)
>
>marble

Yeah, for me it took 3 weeks withdrawal of hellish suicidal tendancies
and anger but after that I felt better. (Prozac withdrawal)

Also, when I was on it, I sure felt drugged. Just takes longer, kinda
sneaks up on you, gradually you get more and more numb. I did,
anyway..

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT. If you havent, dont pretend to be so well
informed.

Theres only one answer for the world's needs, and THAT answer WORKS.