Holy Spirit

Walter Copes (wcopes@communique.net)
Thu, 25 Apr 1996 14:05:16 -0500

To: rramos@acad1.sahs.uth.tmc.edu (Rachel Ramos)
From: wcopes@communique.net
Subject: Question on Nicodemus

 RR> I have wondered about the fact that John the Baptist was filled
 RR> with the Holy Ghost before it was poured out on the day of
 RR> Pentecost and that Jesus breathed on the disciples and said re-
 RR> ceive ye the Holy Ghost.

     I once had a oneness minister I respect expound on the subject of
the Holy Spirit being given in the New Testament and not in the Old--
at least as we know it today.

     God is holy. Since He is holy sinful man cannot come into His
presence without being consumed by that holiness. Thus in the Old
Testament the blood of animals was the buffer between that holiness
and sinful man. However, the blood of animals was only temporary. Thus
those of the Old Testament could not be filled with the Holy Spirit on
a permanent basis. It was only with the coming of Jesus and His shed
blood which was the perfect buffer between sinful man and a holy God
that allowed the Holy Spirit to dwell in the hearts of men on a con-
tinuing basis. However, the matter of John the Baptist remains
unexplained.

Walter Copes
The joy of the Lord is my strength
(wcopes@communique.net)