John 3:5

Mark Bassett (mbasset@iconn.net)
Thu, 25 Apr 1996 21:12:44 GMT

On Thu, 25 Apr 96 13:06:22, you wrote:

>>There is no saving power in the water itself or in man's actions at water
>>baptism. The birth of water is not the human act but God's act in
>>remitting sin.
>
>Is it possible to conclude from this statement then that apostolics
>really see water baptism as a necessary outward symbol of the inner
>experience [spiritual work]? If not, why not?

Not any more than a doorway is seen as a nessesary symbol of the
accessability of the content of a house.

We sure hate to be called believers in "baptismal regeneration", but
we cannot fail to observe that the circumcision made without hands is
the ordained means of application of the name of Jesus Christ.

In the OT, the blood was the required currency of atonement. The life
is there.. This is fleshly, however, in the Spiritual Kingdom revealed
after Calvary's fulfillment of the type, the NAME is identified as the
place where LIFE is found.

-mwb