1,112,313,600 seconds (was: 12,783 Days)

"Tyler Nally" (tnally@iquest.net)
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 13:13:32 -0500

Bro Floyd Avery scribeth ...

>My head is hung in shame. I do pray that my employer, (the U.S.
>Government), does not find out about that post. I have been involved in
>the expenditure of many millions of dollars to replace equipment that is
>not Y2K compliant. They could question my ability to do the job.

No need to... you were only off by a single day.
You said 12,783 ((365 days X 35 years) + 8 leap days) when it should
have been 12,784 ((365 days X 25 years) + 8 leap days + 1 day (anniv. date
inclusive)).  A single day.  86,400 seconds (which is 24 hours X 3600 sec.
/hour) was all that you were off.

>I used a palmtop computer to calculate the number of days. Any 5th
>grader could use pencil and paper and get the correct answer. I used a
>computer and got the wrong answer. This was a little embarrassment to
>me, but think about what these problems will do in the banking and
>business world.

I don't know it's the palm computer fault.  Basically, if you didn't
account for the *anniversary date* itself (inclusive) then you would
have come up with the same value.  I guess that if it came down
to it, the 12,783 days would be correct up to the *anniversary time*
when you were merged in wedded bliss... like at 3pm or something. Being
as you prolly didn't get married at midnight, part of the day is day
12,783 and the other part is 12,784 *after* the time of the wedding
cerimony when you both said "I do" when you were pronounce "man and wife".

You could also get into some really nit-picky calculations if you were
married in a time-zone other than your current time zone as you'd have
to adjust for extra time or less time according to where the wedding
ceremony was performed.  If you were in the Pacific time zone, then
there's no adjusment.  If you were in the Mountain time zone, then when
the *time* rolls around, it'd actually be an hour longer than you'd know.
If you were married in a Central time zone or Eastern Standard time, you'd
have two hours to adjust.  And Eastern Daylight savings time would be
an adjustment of three hours *extra*.

So... it all just depends on *when* and *where* it was to base
the original calculations.

Bro Tyler
--
Bro Tyler Nally

   higher-fire-request@prairienet.org

To e-mail the higher-fire list with a message, send e-mail to ...

   higher-fire@prairienet.org

The Higher-Fire listprocessor's e-addresses for changes and queries ...

        listproc@prairienet.org

 a) ... To Subscribe               SUB HIGHER-FIRE Your Name
 b) ... To UnSubscribe             UNSUB HIGHER-FIRE
 c) ... To Postpone Mail           SET HIGHER-FIRE MAIL POSTPONE
 d) ... To Resume Mail             SET HIGHER-FIRE MAIL ACK
 e) ... To Change to H-F Digests   SET HIGHER-FIRE MAIL DIGEST
 f) ... To Check H-F Settings      SET HIGHER-FIRE
 g) ... To Review H-F Subscription REVIEW HIGHER-FIRE
H-F Homepage     :  http://www.prairienet.org/upci/h-f.html
H-F WWW Archives :  http://www.higherfire.org
H-F Nettiquette  :  http://www.higherfire.org/netiq.html
H-F F.A.Q.       :  http://www.higherfire.org/FAQ.html
H-F KJV Bible    :  http://www.higherfire.org/kjv
H-F QuickTour    :  http://www.prairienet.org/~tgnally/HigherFireTour.html
H-F Questionaire :  http://www.prairienet.org/upci/questions.html

H-F IRC Channel  :  #higher-fire on a Undernet.org server

  "...prefer to hear educated blessings preach than ignorant blessing!"
  - Bro Robert Jay Brown III