Time Zones (was: billion+ seconds)

Tom Raddatz (tomrpp@pop.corecom.net)
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 12:46:37 -0800

At 12:04 PM 8/11/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Sis Laura scribeth...
>
>> I have a question.  If time began, and it began at the same time everywhere,
>> why are there time zones, and who is right?  Is it today, or is it tomorrow?
>>   Is today Wednesday or Thursday?  I know part of it is so that it's night
>> when it's dark, all the way around the world (I think), but who is actually
>> right?  Just wondering

In addition to Bro. Nally's scholastic treatise...

Here's a cool thought (to me, anyway) about time and God. If you want to
understand the omnipresence and eternality of God, remember that God is
likened to the wind. It's an especially perfect analogy as far as time is
concerned. The wind is not bound by the same zones that we physical
creatures are- it surrounds the whole creation- from beginning to end, at
the same time, without contradiction. Such is our God!! And therein also
lies an analogy with the fact that time is only relative to us and our
temporal condition, but that God transcends time, for He dwells in the true
dimension of "reality".

-bro. Tom Raddatz
(Greetings from Sterling Alaska, and I'm happily UPC as of the first of this
year, BTW. Something I once said to this list that I would never be! :-)
Previously independent Apostolic for 15 years.)
http://www.corecom.net/~tomrpp/watchman.htm

I'll probably jst go back to lurking now, but God bless you all!